Can someone me with this problem?

• Thread starter altecsonyc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a practice assignment for an upcoming final exam that involves solving a physics problem involving a cart with a mass of 2000 kg. The cart is accelerated from an initial position, goes through turns, and eventually jumps off a track. The design parameters that need to be determined include appropriate accelerations, coordinates of points, velocities, and the duration of the ride. Some suggestions and equations are given, but the conversation ultimately suggests posting the problem in a homework forum for assistance.
altecsonyc
Can Someone please help me with this problem! I need some hints how to solve this problem, i am already stuck on part A :(.
This is my practice assignment for the final coming up next 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the professor does not provide solution.

THE PICTURE OF THIS PROBLEM IS ILLUSTRATED BY THE LINK BELOW.

Starting from the initial position (the origin of the coordinate system) a cart with a mass of 2000 kg is accelerated from the initial velocity zero by acceleration a1 which is uniform over a segment of 40 m. Following this segment, the cart proceeds through a turn (20 m radius), is then accelerated again over a segment of 10 m length, coasts toward the top of a hill where its velocity is near zero. The cart then rolls down to ground level, through a circular valley (radius 10 m) and along a straight segment of 2 m length, before leaving the track in free fight, initially inclined at 45 degree. In order to ensure a safe landing, an angular impulse is exerted on the cart just before leaving the track, causing the cart to rotate by a constant angular velocity w, during the flight. This rotation is necessary to have the cart axis aligned with the track at the landing point. Departure and landing occur at the same vertical position. On a short segment of 5 m the cart is decelerated by a3, before coasting through the second turn (20 m radius) and it is further decelerated uniformly (a4) over the final 30 m to come to a full stop at the origin of the coordinate system.

Determine the following design parameters:
a) Appropriate accelerations a1, a2, to meet the following requirements:
_ The cart must come to a stop on top of the hill.
_ The magnitude of the acceleration through the first turn must not be larger than 3g.
b) The coordinates of the point where the cart departs into free flight.
c) The velocity of the cart at the point of departure.
d) The coordinates of the landing point and the flight path angle (_2) at that point.
e) The duration of the flight, and the angular velocity w which is required to have the cart aligned with the track at landing.
f) The velocity of the cart as it reaches ground level (just before the 5m deceleration segment).
g) Appropriate accelerations a3, a4, to meet the following requirements:
_ The cart must come to a full stop at the origin of the coordinate system.
_ The magnitude of the acceleration through the second turn must not be larger than 3g.
h) The duration of the entire ride.
*PS. This problem will help you with the final. GOOD LUCK!

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/11/pic2jf.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As good engineers, traditionally here nobody gets his hands dirty doing numbers or solving homeworks. Unless you find a brave man here, you will do it better by posting your problem in homework section. Good luck.

You'll get much better reception here if you post what work you've done, and show us where you've got stuck. Good luck!

Well all the solutions come from basic kinematics.

"The cart must come to a stop on top of the hill." where the gravitational potential energy is maximum. Conservation of energy.

I don't see any mention of friction or wind resistance (which keeps it simple). Instead there is mention of acceleration and deceleration.

Also for angular acceleration [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\omega^2 r[/itex].

As for the jump, think equations for trajectory (parabolic). Some mass departs a point at some angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with respect to the horizontal and initial velocity, and then lands at some other point (at what angle?).

And this does belong in the college homework section. :wink:

For part A.
Knowing V0=0, X-X0=40=X1, X2=10
I have (V1)^2=(V0)^2 + 2*(a1)(X-X0)
(V1)^2= 2*(a1)*(X1)

and on top of the loop V = 0

SO m*g*h = 1/2*m*(V3)^2
(V3)^2 = 2*g*h
(V3)^2 = V2^2 + 2(a2)*(X2)

V1 = V2 (since, it's circular uniform)
Ac = V^2/R

I am stuck here, i don't know what to do next to find the a2 and a1, and V2. I think, I am missing something, i have 2 equations with 3 unknows..but i tried for many hours and still couldn't figure it out.

So do you guys think my concept is correct? for some reason the formula Ac= V^2/R still haven't use yet, which i think there must be something wrong with my equation. I believe Ac=V^2/R must something to do with the V2 and somehow relate to the a1 and a2.
Please help me out, thank you so much.
Thank you

Oh, i have thought about the 3g think.
so the acceleration through the first turn must not be larger than 3g.
SO

A = 3g =< sqrt(At ^2 + Ac^2)

but At = (V1)^2 / (2*X1)
Ac = (V1)^2/ R

solve for V1, and V1=V2

Does this make sense?

1. Can someone solve this problem for me?

I'm sorry, but as a scientist, I am not able to solve problems for others. However, I am happy to offer guidance and resources to help you solve the problem yourself.

2. How do I know if someone is able to help me with this problem?

The best way to determine if someone can help you with a problem is to ask them directly. Be sure to provide specific details about the problem so they can assess their ability to assist you.

3. Will someone be able to explain the solution to me?

If someone is able to help you with a problem, they may be able to explain the solution to you. However, it is important to remember that understanding the solution may require some background knowledge or additional research on your part.

4. How long will it take for someone to help me with this problem?

The time it takes for someone to help you with a problem can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the availability of the person you are asking for help. It is important to be patient and respectful of their time.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with a problem?

Of course! Asking for help is a natural part of the scientific process. It is important to seek help when you are stuck or need clarification, but also to make sure that you are actively learning and understanding the problem and its solution.