Can someone me with this question on mag fields?

• I
  • Thread starter Sgtsloth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the statement that is correct about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is that magnetic fields can do work on a moving charge. This can be identified from the formula W=\int_{P1}^{P2} \vec F \cdot \vec{ds} , which shows that magnetic fields can exert a force on a moving charge and do work on it. The other statements, while related to magnetic fields and moving charges, do not accurately describe the interaction between the two.
Sgtsloth
What statement about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is correct?
A) Magnetic fields can’t change the direction of motion of a moving charge.
B) Magnetic fields can do work on a moving charge.
C) Magnetic fields can accelerate a moving charge.
D) The force on a moving charge in a magnetic field can be in the direction of the magnetic field.
E) Magnetic fields can increase or decrease the kinetic energy of a moving charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to identify the correct ones from the following famous formulas:
## \vec F=m \vec a ##
## \vec F_{Lorentz}=q(\vec E+\vec v \times \vec B) ##
## W=\int_{P1}^{P2} \vec F \cdot \vec{ds} ##
## W=KE_2-KE_1 ##
## KE=\frac 1 2 m |\vec v|^2 ##

Shyan said:
You should be able to identify the correct ones from the following famous formulas:
## \vec F=m \vec a ##
## \vec F_{Lorentz}=q(\vec E+\vec v \times \vec B) ##
## W=\int_{P1}^{P2} \vec F \cdot \vec{ds} ##
## W=KE_2-KE_1 ##
## KE=\frac 1 2 m |\vec v|^2 ##

Not to sound ungrateful, but can you please just tell me the answer?

Sgtsloth said:
Not to sound ungrateful, but can you please just tell me the answer?
That's not how things work in this forum.
People who ask questions, should show at least a bit of effort.
Start thinking about it and try to find out exactly what it is that you don't understand clearly and ask it here. People will be happy to help.

This thread should have been posted in a homework forum with an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can be represented by magnetic field lines.

2. How do you calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, a magnetic field affects moving electric charges, while an electric field affects stationary electric charges.

4. How does the direction of a magnetic field affect a charged particle?

The direction of a magnetic field can cause a charged particle to experience a force perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to move in a circular path. This is known as the Lorentz force.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields are used in a variety of everyday objects, such as magnets, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in medical imaging machines, such as MRI scanners, and in compasses for navigation.