Can someone with this question

• Thread starter Natalya18
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics question involving finding the magnitude of Earth's momentum in its orbit around the sun. The student is missing some information and needs help remembering the formulae involved. They are advised to start with equating the gravitational and centripetal forces and to also consider the mass of the sun in order to find Earth's momentum.
Natalya18
Hi,
Im studying year 12 physics and I am a bit stuck with this question:

The Earth is in its orbit around the sun. The mass of the Earth is 6*10^24kg and the radius of its orbit is 1.5*10^11 metres

Question wants me to find the magnitude of the momentum
Im missing something, and i can't seem to remember how to do it,
any help is appreciated,

thanks,:confused: :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the formulae for gravitational force and centripetal force.

It's a bit simple, as Curious said, start with equating the gravitational and centripetal forces, then substitute in the momentum formula.

Natalya18 said:
Hi,
Im studying year 12 physics and I am a bit stuck with this question:

The Earth is in its orbit around the sun. The mass of the Earth is 6*10^24kg and the radius of its orbit is 1.5*10^11 metres

Question wants me to find the magnitude of the momentum
Im missing something, and i can't seem to remember how to do it,
any help is appreciated,

thanks,:confused: :uhh:

Need to know the mass of the Sun so that the equation of centripetal force with Sun's gravitational force gives you Earth's orbital velocity, which then can be used to find Earth's momentum.

1. Can someone explain this concept to me?

Yes, as a scientist, it is my job to explain complex concepts in a way that is easily understandable. I am happy to break down the concept and provide examples or visual aids to help with understanding.

2. Can someone help me with this experiment?

Absolutely! As a scientist, I am constantly conducting experiments and am well-versed in experimental design and procedures. I would be more than happy to offer guidance and assistance with your experiment.

3. Can someone provide evidence to support this claim?

As a scientist, it is crucial to back up claims with evidence. I am well-versed in research methods and can provide sources and data to support any claims made.

4. Can someone interpret the results of this study for me?

Interpreting results is a key aspect of being a scientist. I am skilled in analyzing data and drawing conclusions from research studies. I would be happy to help interpret the results of a study.

5. Can someone recommend a solution to this problem?

As a scientist, I am trained to think critically and problem-solve. I would be happy to analyze the issue and suggest potential solutions based on scientific principles and evidence.