What is the tension in the rope?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding tension in a physics problem involving a tightrope walker. The person is seeking help to understand how to find tension and has provided an example problem with the answer. They are also asking for a detailed explanation on how to reach the answer. The solution involves understanding equilibrium and using right triangle trigonometry to find the total tension. The correct answer is 3520 N.
matthayzon89
Can someone help me understand tension?

Can someone please help me understand how to find tension? PHYSICS?
I am trying to prepare for a upcoming test and I am having trouble understanding how to find tension. I have copied a problem from my sample test and provided the answer as well.

Can someone explain how they got this answer for tension in detail so I understand it once and for all?

Homework Statement

A tightrope walker with a mass of 60.00 kg stands at the center of a rope which was initially strung horizontally between two poles. His weight causes the rope to sag symmetrically, making an angle of 4.80 degrees with the horizontal. What is the tension in the rope?

Thank You,
Dr. Zan

Homework Equations

This is what I need help with. I know there is some sort of equilibrium in this problem:/

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the correct answer: 3520 N But would like to understand how this answer is achieved

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you examine the force diagram of the human, the force of gravity pulls down. Unless there is an acceleration, something this motionless setup has none of, the sum of forces on the human must equal zero. Treating the force of tension as a force vector, which component cancels out the force of gravity? Which component of the leftmost tension is canceled by the same component of the rightmost tension?

Once you answer these two questions, you see how to find one component of the tension. Using right triangle trigonometry, the hypotenuse then can be found (the total tension).

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force applied by the rope in order to maintain its shape and position. It is the pulling force that is transmitted through the rope's length.

2. How is tension measured in a rope?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, using a tension meter or scale. It can also be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the rope by its length.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the rope, the length and thickness of the rope, and the material properties of the rope such as elasticity and strength.

4. Why is tension important in a rope?

Tension is important in a rope because it determines the strength and stability of the rope. If the tension is too high, the rope may break or stretch beyond its limit, while if the tension is too low, the rope may become slack and lose its shape.

5. How does tension affect the performance of a rope?

Tension is a crucial factor in the performance of a rope. The correct amount of tension is necessary for the rope to function effectively and support the weight or load it is intended for. Improper tension can lead to accidents or damage to the rope.