1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone show me what a 4 to 16 line decoder looks like?

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could send me a website or a picture that shows what a 4 to 16 line decoder looks like, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2
  4. Nov 5, 2005 #3
    Thanks, yes i understand how they work but i'm confused on how u extend the theory to a 4 to 16 line, they want us to use two 3 to 8 line decoders and 16 2 input AND gates, this is what i came up with...
    http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5981/lastscan8mq.jpg look right? If it doesn't load the first time, hit the refresh button. THe site seems to be laggy

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  5. Nov 5, 2005 #4
    here's how we did it...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  6. Nov 5, 2005 #5
    ahh i c, thanks alot EvLer, makes sense to me!

7. Nov 6, 2005 #6
    actually AND gates in addition to 2 3-to-8 don't make sense to me... if anything, i would expect ORs.

8. Nov 6, 2005 #7
  9. Nov 6, 2005 #8
    But that is not in addition to the decoder logic, i.e. the AND(NAND) are used in the logic of the decoder, that i know, but from the description it sounded like they wanted to use 16 gates in addition to a decoder.
    perhaps i am missing something...

10. Nov 7, 2005 #9
    hah i have no idea either, god i wish there was a site that explained digital design, like this is the only course i can't find on the internet that has like tutorials and explanations, have you found any?

11. Nov 7, 2005 #10
    hmmm.... no not really, that play-hookey site that i cited before has some stuff, but it's not that much in depth. So, i just come across random sites :frown: , read my book (Wakerly):yuck: and bother my TA's :tongue2: during open lab hours.
    edit: but we seem to have similar curriculum as you, guys... where do you go?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  12. Nov 7, 2005 #11
    We have no TA's hah, so i'm **** out of luck. and my book blows, its Kime, which sucks bad, he makes everything so complicated. I got to Penn State for Computer Engineering, u?

13. Nov 7, 2005 #12
    woooow....that does suck...
    as far as the book, they have been using Wakerly (3rd ed.) Digital design: Principles and Practices, it's ok... i hardly ever read it though... but we have good lecture notes.... and TA's... well we have several... each leads at least one lab and office hours, and the Prof teaching/overseeing it is great. I'm a CompE at Purdue.

14. Nov 7, 2005 #13
    Cool, once i go to main campus next year (right now i'm at a branch, a very small branch) the TA's will be very abundant but for the time being i have to deal with the lack of assistance, oh well.

15. Nov 9, 2005 #14
    Actually, I have thought about putting a tutorial on K-Mapping on this forum, but I'm not sure that anyone would be interested. They are a lot more powerful than most people think. Also there is a lot of simple logic behind them.

KM

16. Nov 9, 2005 #15
    K-maps aren't bad when you get enough practice with them.
    What would be esp. helpful is to show not only "how" but "why" it works. For instance, in my book Gray code is described in a chapter (which we did not cover) totally away from where the K-maps are. So, when it came to numbering of cells, i could not figure out the system .... until i happened to flip through the book out of boredom...and saw the Gray code and all that explanation.
    But yeah... a thorough description would be a good idea. And also "where"/"when" they are useful besides when they explicitly say on the test.

17. Nov 10, 2005 #16

Understood! I intend to try if I can, but first, I have to learn a little about how tutorials on this forum are handled, and on that I need some introduction. As example, I see tutorial sections on physics and math, but none on engineering and other subjects. Where would they be handled, and how? Any guidance here would be helpful. (BTW What ever happened to 'spell-check' on this forum?)

KM

18. Nov 19, 2005 #17
    If anyone is interested, I have started a K-Map tutorial thread.

KM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?