Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can someone teach me for this?

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1
    Figure 1 shows part of an energy level diagram for a hydrogen atom.

n=4 ------ -0.85eV
    n=3 ------ -1.50eV
    n=2 ------ -3.40eV
    n=1 ------ -13.60eV

When an electron of energy 12.1eV collides with the atom, photons of three different energies are emitted.
    [a] on Figure 1 show with arrows the transitions responsible for these photons.

> ????

Calculate the wavelength of the photon with the smallest energy. Give your answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.

>(E = hcl入)
    >energy in joules = (??) x 1.6 x 10^-19 = (????)(J)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

I think this should be in the homework forum. Someone will probably move it for you. (Whoever does can delete this post)

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3
    Hi, this is not my homework, im revising Physics at the moment, im stuck with this question.

5. Jan 9, 2010 #4
    I've forgot most of atomic physics. But I can show u the process.
    [a]at first n=1,then comes the electron with 12.1eV,so the energy raises from -13.6 to -1.5,and n=3.Energy always wants to go from the high level to the low level,and at this time we have 3 ways,that is 3->2,2->1,3->1,these are the "photons of three different energies"
    then is easy

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

---------------------
    ---------------------
    ↓ .......↓
    ---------------------
    ↓.................↓
    ---------------------
    ↓.................↓
    ---------------------

Is it kindda look like this......?:confused:

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6
    I'm sorry I wasn't here.
    But I can't catch your point.
    What I said means,at first n=1,after 12.1eV comes,n=3. n=3 has 3 ways to go as following
    goto 2,releasing 1.9eV
    goto 1,releasing 12.1eV
    but after 3 go to 2,we still have a 2,and this 2 can goto 1,releasing 10.2eV

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Alright, I'm super confused by this point. To the OP: can you upload figure 1? Where are the arrows?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook