1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can someone teach me for this?

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1
    Figure 1 shows part of an energy level diagram for a hydrogen atom.

n=4 ------ -0.85eV
    n=3 ------ -1.50eV
    n=2 ------ -3.40eV
    n=1 ------ -13.60eV

When an electron of energy 12.1eV collides with the atom, photons of three different energies are emitted.
    [a] on Figure 1 show with arrows the transitions responsible for these photons.

> ????

Calculate the wavelength of the photon with the smallest energy. Give your answer to an appropriate number of significant figures.

>(E = hcl入)
    >energy in joules = (??) x 1.6 x 10^-19 = (????)(J)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

I think this should be in the homework forum. Someone will probably move it for you. (Whoever does can delete this post)

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3
    Hi, this is not my homework, im revising Physics at the moment, im stuck with this question.

5. Jan 9, 2010 #4
    I've forgot most of atomic physics. But I can show u the process.
    [a]at first n=1,then comes the electron with 12.1eV,so the energy raises from -13.6 to -1.5,and n=3.Energy always wants to go from the high level to the low level,and at this time we have 3 ways,that is 3->2,2->1,3->1,these are the "photons of three different energies"
    then is easy

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

---------------------
    ---------------------
    ↓ .......↓
    ---------------------
    ↓.................↓
    ---------------------
    ↓.................↓
    ---------------------

Is it kindda look like this......?:confused:

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6
    I'm sorry I wasn't here.
    But I can't catch your point.
    What I said means,at first n=1,after 12.1eV comes,n=3. n=3 has 3 ways to go as following
    goto 2,releasing 1.9eV
    goto 1,releasing 12.1eV
    but after 3 go to 2,we still have a 2,and this 2 can goto 1,releasing 10.2eV

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Alright, I'm super confused by this point. To the OP: can you upload figure 1? Where are the arrows?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook