Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone verify my answer for the problem in my post below

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    ok, so I worked out the problem and got 2x+a... is this correct? For some reason I dont think it is, but I thought I worked it out right... I just want to know if I'm on the right track so I dont do all 50 problems wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2
    which problem?
  4. Aug 29, 2005 #3
    sorry, i guess I posted a different problem below...

lim ( (x+∆x)^2 - x^2 ) / x
    ∆x approaches 0

Sorry about that
  5. Aug 29, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean
    lim ( (x+∆x)^2 - x^2 ) / ∆x
    ∆x approaches 0?

If so, you get 2x. Otherwise, if you meant the problem as you typed it, you get 0 (or undefined if x=0).
  6. Aug 30, 2005 #5
    Your problem is a verification of the definition of derivative.
    In particular [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[x^2 \right] = \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+\Delta x)^2 - x^2}{\Delta x} =
    \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2 + 2x\Delta x + (\Delta x)^2 - x^2}{\Delta x} = \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} \frac{2x\Delta x + (\Delta x)^2 }{\Delta x} = \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} (2x+ \Delta x) = 2x [/tex]

Notice that in general (for other functions) both right and left limit have to exist in order to say that the derivative exists. In this case you have a simple polinomyal problem and this is not an issue.

If you do not like the notation [tex] \Delta x[/tex] for a small number, you can use the equivalent notation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[x^2 \right] = \lim _{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+\varepsilon)^2 - x^2}{\varepsilon} =
    \lim _{\varepsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2 + 2x\varepsilon + (\varepsilon)^2 - x^2}{\varepsilon} = \lim _{\varepsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{2x\varepsilon + (\varepsilon)^2 }{\varepsilon} = \lim _{\varepsilon\rightarrow 0} (2x+ \varepsilon) = 2x [/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?