Can someone verify my answer for the problem in my post below

• Thread starter kendal12
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is a verification of the definition of derivative, specifically for the function x^2. The derivative is found by taking the limit as delta x approaches 0 of (x + delta x)^2 - x^2 over delta x. The resulting derivative is 2x. This notation can also be rewritten as epsilon instead of delta x.
kendal12
ok, so I worked out the problem and got 2x+a... is this correct? For some reason I don't think it is, but I thought I worked it out right... I just want to know if I'm on the right track so I don't do all 50 problems wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
which problem?

sorry, i guess I posted a different problem below...

lim ( (x+∆x)^2 - x^2 ) / x
∆x approaches 0

Sorry about that

kendal12 said:
lim ( (x+∆x)^2 - x^2 ) / x
∆x approaches 0

Do you mean
lim ( (x+∆x)^2 - x^2 ) / ∆x
∆x approaches 0?

If so, you get 2x. Otherwise, if you meant the problem as you typed it, you get 0 (or undefined if x=0).

Your problem is a verification of the definition of derivative.
In particular [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[x^2 \right] = \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+\Delta x)^2 - x^2}{\Delta x} =
\lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2 + 2x\Delta x + (\Delta x)^2 - x^2}{\Delta x} = \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} \frac{2x\Delta x + (\Delta x)^2 }{\Delta x} = \lim _{\Delta x\rightarrow 0} (2x+ \Delta x) = 2x [/tex]

Notice that in general (for other functions) both right and left limit have to exist in order to say that the derivative exists. In this case you have a simple polinomyal problem and this is not an issue.

If you do not like the notation [tex] \Delta x[/tex] for a small number, you can use the equivalent notation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[x^2 \right] = \lim _{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{(x+\varepsilon)^2 - x^2}{\varepsilon} =
\lim _{\varepsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2 + 2x\varepsilon + (\varepsilon)^2 - x^2}{\varepsilon} = \lim _{\varepsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{2x\varepsilon + (\varepsilon)^2 }{\varepsilon} = \lim _{\varepsilon\rightarrow 0} (2x+ \varepsilon) = 2x [/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do I know if I need to verify my answer for a problem?

It is always a good idea to have your answer verified, especially if it is a complex problem or if you are unsure about your solution. This can help catch any mistakes or errors and ensure that your answer is accurate.

2. Who can I ask to verify my answer?

You can ask a fellow scientist, a professor, or anyone else who has expertise in the subject matter. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the specific topic to provide an accurate verification.

3. How can I verify my answer on my own?

If you do not have access to someone who can verify your answer, you can try checking your work using alternative methods or double-checking your calculations. You can also search for similar problems and compare your solution to other verified solutions.

4. What should I do if my answer is incorrect after verification?

If your answer is incorrect, it is important to carefully review your work and try to identify where you went wrong. You can also seek help from a tutor or mentor to understand the concept better and improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Is it necessary to verify my answer every time?

While it is not always necessary to verify your answer, it is a good practice to do so, especially for complex problems or if you are unsure about your solution. This can help you catch any mistakes and improve your problem-solving skills.