Calculate Force of Gravity of Earth and Moon | FgE = FgM | 3.8 x 10^7 Answer

• Thread starter Alameen Damer
  • Start date
In summary: You can solve it by hand or using a scientific calculator.In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving the force of gravity between Earth, the moon, and a rocket. The goal is to find the distance between the rocket and the moon where the net gravitational force is equal to 0. After several attempts, the closest answer obtained is 4.2 x 10^7 m, which is still different from the book answer of 3.8 x 10^7 m. The conversation ends with the question of whether there is an easier approach to solving this equation.
Alameen Damer

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

fg=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let FgE be the force of gravity of Earth, and FgM be force of gravity of the moon.

We need a net gravitational force of 0 N. So:

FgE-FgM=0
FgE=FgM

Can someone attempt to solve this and see if the answer matches the book answer which is 3.8 x 10^7.

I have tried this with many different methods, and the closest I got was 4.2 x 10^7. So if someone gets the same answer as me or the book, can you please reply.

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-6_2-22-47.png
    upload_2015-9-6_2-22-47.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work in detail, please. And what is 4.2 x 10^7? mass? distance? force? In what unit?

Distance/radius so its in m, and I got the answer eventually having to use the quadratic formula.

What I did was:

Let mE be mass of Earth
Let mM be mass of the moon
Let mR be mass of the rocket

GmEmR/r^2=GmMmR/(3.8x10^8-r)^2

(3.8x10^8-r)^2(GmEmR)=r^2(GmMmR)

G and MR cancel

(3.8x10^8-r)^2(mE)=r^2(mM)

(5.926x10^24)r^2-4.56x10^34r+8.664x10^41=0

I then used the quadratic formula to solve for r, getting 342017105.1 m. This is the radius from the Earth to the rocket to distance from the moon to the rocket would be:
3.8x10^8m-342017105.1 m=3.8x10^7m.

HOWEVER, i am wondering is there an easier approach to solving this?

Alameen Damer said:
What I did was:

Let mE be mass of Earth
Let mM be mass of the moon
Let mR be mass of the rocket

GmEmR/r^2=GmMmR/(3.8x10^8-r)^2

(3.8x10^8-r)^2(GmEmR)=r^2(GmMmR)

G and MR cancel

(3.8x10^8-r)^2(mE)=r^2(mM)

You can write the equation in the form
(3.8x10^8-r)^2=r^2(mM/mE).
Take the square root of both sides, you get a first order equation.

1. Can someone else verify my answer?

Yes, it's always a good idea to have someone else double-check your work to ensure accuracy. This is especially important in scientific research where precision is crucial.

2. Who can verify my answer?

You can ask a fellow scientist, a professor, a mentor, or a colleague to verify your answer. It's best to seek someone who has expertise in the specific field or topic you are working on.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

Verifying your answer is one way to ensure its correctness. You can also cross-check your work with existing studies, data, or theories. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers can help identify any errors or discrepancies in your answer.

4. Should I always get my answer verified?

It's not necessary to have every single answer verified, but it's a good practice to do so for important or complex findings. This can help increase the credibility and reliability of your work.

5. Is it okay to verify my own answer?

It's recommended to have someone else verify your answer instead of doing it yourself. This helps eliminate any potential bias or subjective judgments that may affect the accuracy of your answer.