1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone verify my work

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have an infinite square well and I am asked to show why E = 0 and E < 0 does not satisfy the Schrodinger's equation. I must do this by applying the boundary conditions.

For E = 0:

I argued that the second derivative of the wave function is zero.

So,

[tex]\Psi(x) = A + Bx[/tex]

By imposing the boundary conditions [tex]\Psi (0) = \Psi (a) = 0[/tex] I get:

[tex]\Psi(x) = Bx[/tex]

and

[tex]\Psi (a) = Ba = 0[/tex]

Therefore I concluded that:

(1) [tex]B[/tex] cannot be zero, or else we get [tex]\Psi(x) = 0[/tex] which is physically unacceptable
    (2) [tex]a\neq0[/tex] since [tex]a[/tex] is the upper bound.

Perhaps before presenting my second solution to E < 0 I should make sure all the above is correct.

Is it valid?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good so far.

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    E < 0:

The second derivative of the wave function I set equal to [tex]k^{2}\Psi(x)[/tex]

The solution is [tex]\Psi(x) = Ae^{-kx} + Be^{kx}[/tex], where the first term on the right cancels since it blows up at infinitely large values of [tex]x[/tex].

Thus, [tex]\Psi(0) = Be^{k0} = 0[/tex] (after imposing the boundary conditions), which does not give us a satisfying solution for [tex]B[/tex] or [tex]e^{0}[/tex]. Neither does it work for [tex]\Psi(a) = 0[/tex].

So, the boundary conditions don't work.

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that the solution and coefficients A and B are only valid within 0<x<a. So it is okay if this Ψ(x) expression blows up at infinity, since the actual Ψ(x) will be a different expression for x<0 or x>a.

Use both boundary conditions (at x=0 and a), and the expression you wrote for Ψ(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook