Is My Solution for Proving E = 0 and E < 0 Invalid?

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of boundary conditions to show that E = 0 and E < 0 do not satisfy Schrodinger's equation for an infinite square well. For E = 0, it is concluded that the constant B must be non-zero and the upper bound a cannot be zero. For E < 0, the solution for Ψ(x) is found to be invalid due to the boundary conditions. It is noted that the solution and coefficients are only valid within the range of 0<x<a.
Void123

Homework Statement

I have an infinite square well and I am asked to show why E = 0 and E < 0 does not satisfy the Schrodinger's equation. I must do this by applying the boundary conditions.

For E = 0:

I argued that the second derivative of the wave function is zero.

So,

[tex]\Psi(x) = A + Bx[/tex]

By imposing the boundary conditions [tex]\Psi (0) = \Psi (a) = 0[/tex] I get:

[tex]\Psi(x) = Bx[/tex]

and

[tex]\Psi (a) = Ba = 0[/tex]

Therefore I concluded that:

(1) [tex]B[/tex] cannot be zero, or else we get [tex]\Psi(x) = 0[/tex] which is physically unacceptable
(2) [tex]a\neq0[/tex] since [tex]a[/tex] is the upper bound.

Perhaps before presenting my second solution to E < 0 I should make sure all the above is correct.

Is it valid?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
E < 0:

The second derivative of the wave function I set equal to [tex]k^{2}\Psi(x)[/tex]

The solution is [tex]\Psi(x) = Ae^{-kx} + Be^{kx}[/tex], where the first term on the right cancels since it blows up at infinitely large values of [tex]x[/tex].

Thus, [tex]\Psi(0) = Be^{k0} = 0[/tex] (after imposing the boundary conditions), which does not give us a satisfying solution for [tex]B[/tex] or [tex]e^{0}[/tex]. Neither does it work for [tex]\Psi(a) = 0[/tex].

So, the boundary conditions don't work.

Note that the solution and coefficients A and B are only valid within 0<x<a. So it is okay if this Ψ(x) expression blows up at infinity, since the actual Ψ(x) will be a different expression for x<0 or x>a.

Use both boundary conditions (at x=0 and a), and the expression you wrote for Ψ(x).

1. How do I find someone to verify my work?

One way to find someone to verify your work is to reach out to colleagues or professors in your field of study. You can also post your work on online forums or social media groups related to your research topic and ask for feedback.

2. What should I look for in someone who will verify my work?

Look for someone who has expertise in your research area and has experience in reviewing and verifying scientific work. It is also important to find someone who is unbiased and can provide constructive criticism.

3. What materials should I provide to someone verifying my work?

You should provide all the necessary materials related to your research, such as data, methods, analysis, and results. It is helpful to also provide any relevant background information and references.

4. How long does it take for someone to verify my work?

The time it takes for someone to verify your work can vary depending on the complexity of your research and the availability of the person verifying it. It is best to discuss a timeline with the person beforehand to ensure a timely review.

5. Will the person verifying my work make changes to my research?

The person verifying your work may suggest changes or improvements, but ultimately it is up to you to decide whether to make those changes. The purpose of verification is to ensure the validity and accuracy of your work, not to make major changes to your research.