Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can something dropped break the sound barrier?

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    Sooo i was wondering...
    Can something that has been dropped from a higj enough hight eventually break the sound barrier. Well, since we know that the gravitational acceleration is approximately 10 m/s^2 and that the speed of sound is approximately 330 m/s i pluged it into the acceleration formula:

a=dv/t
    10=330/t
    10t=330
    t=33 s

So that told me that something has to fall 33 s to reach the speed of sound. Now that i know that it needs 33 s im going to plug it into this formula:

s=(at^2)/2
    s=(10*33^2)/2
    s=5*33^2
    s=5445m

So i think i calculated the hight from which something has to be dropped to reach the speed of sound but i need you guys to tell me iff this is actually correct. Sooo if you have time please answer ;)
    ps. english is not my native language so please excuse my ridiculously bad grammar.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    Ohh, thanks i didnt know that, but could my calculations be close or at least partially correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted