Can Certain Sounds Induce Anesthesia in Humans?

• Thread starter marokay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a specific voice or sound to cause a person to enter a deep sleep similar to an anesthetic state induced by drugs. While it may be possible through hypnosis, it requires extensive training and is not as effective as chemical anesthesia. However, it could potentially have a role in pain management for certain cases.
marokay
Hello,
I would like to know whether it is possible to cause a person to enter deep sleep (state as an anesthetic by drugs) by using a specific voice or sound ...
Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Why do you imagine this might be possible?

Likes berkeman
marokay said:
Can sound anesthetize humans?
No, I don't believe sound alone can achieve that.
I would like to know whether it is possible to cause a person to enter deep sleep (state as an anesthetic by drugs) by using a specific voice or sound ...
Thanks.
Do you have something specific in mind?

We can seem to achieve this using hypnosis, e.g., with the snap of his fingers a hypnotherapist can send his patient into an insensitive anaesthetised state. But be aware that this impressive feat can be achieved only after many dozens of hours of hypnotherapy to bring the patient to this mastery of his body, and to implant the trigger signal.

Chemical anaesthetics are now so effective and relatively safe that they have pushed hypnoanaesthesia into the category of little more than a curiosity. But there remains a potential contribution it could make in pain management, particularly where a patient must undergo regular painful procedures that could justify the time invested in learning hypnoanaesthesia, cases such as daily dressing changes on burns victims or people with a genetic fragile skin disorder, or children requiring multiple injections or blood sampling over the course of every day.

marokay said:
Hello,
Thanks.

This worked for me. It's over 7 minutes long but I wasn't able to stay awake for it all.

Last edited:

1. Can sound anesthetize humans?

Yes, it is possible for sound to anesthetize humans, but it is not a common or recommended method of anesthesia. Sound anesthesia, also known as hypersonic sound anesthesia, uses high-frequency sound waves to block pain signals in the body.

2. How does sound anesthesia work?

Sound anesthesia works by delivering high-frequency sound waves to the affected area of the body. These sound waves disrupt the pain signals being sent to the brain, effectively blocking the sensation of pain. This method is still being researched and is not widely used in medical practice.

3. Is sound anesthesia safe?

There is limited research on the safety and effectiveness of sound anesthesia. While it may be safe for certain procedures, it is not recommended as the sole method of anesthesia for major surgeries. As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects that should be carefully considered.

4. What are the advantages of sound anesthesia?

The potential advantages of sound anesthesia include a quicker recovery time, less need for traditional pain medications, and potentially less risk of side effects. It may also be a useful alternative for patients who cannot tolerate traditional anesthesia methods.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using sound anesthesia?

As sound anesthesia is a relatively new and still developing technique, there are some drawbacks to consider. These include limited research on its safety and effectiveness, the potential for discomfort or pain during the procedure, and the need for specialized equipment and trained professionals to administer it. It may also not be suitable for all types of surgeries or patients.