Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can stolen computers be traced directly through the Internet?

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    Does a virtual "LoJack" for computers exist? By means of their informational nature, does not a computer trade data concerning their identity with whomever they come in contact with? Such a communication, if it exists, could put an eventual damper on hardware cybertheft.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2
    if the computer has a network card there's alway the possibility of tracing it through the MAC address, which is unique to every network card out there. Not exactly a trivial task, but possible.

In order for a computer 'LoJack' system to be effective, the computer itself would have to connected to a network or be able to broadcast a signal somehow. It would have to be something that's integrated into hardware and not easy to remove (software can always be deleted).

Then someone would have to be able to detect the signal the stolen computer sends out. Locating it physically would be the next challenge. It's easy to tell if a computer is operating. Finding out where it's operating is the hard part.

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    Well, you can always take the ethernet card out, or change the MAC address, Mac addys are administravely changeable

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You can basically do what lo-jack does by installing a GPS device and a becon into the computer. If the computer is stolen you activate the becon and the GPS device will allow you to locate the computer.

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5
    unless you rip of/out the becon ;-)

7. Jan 13, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Not if it is built right into the motherboard.

8. Jan 16, 2005 #7
    What's "lo-jack"? :confused:

9. Jan 16, 2005 #8
    It is a beacon for your automobile that allows police to track and recover that automobile if you report it stolen. The name is a play on the word hijack.

http://www.lojack.com

10. Jan 17, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A similar concept is the unique identifier now put on Intel chips. That was supposed to be for security purposes (internet ID theft deterrent) anyway.

11. Aug 2, 2006 #10
    Ethernet ID

How is that possible? Can my stolen Mac mini being traced by that?

Thanks.

12. Aug 2, 2006 #11

-Job-

Science Advisor

Build a windows service that runs in the background, and at any time (like boot up) accesses a web page (a script) which logs information like IP, etc. I built such a service for my server, watch out. :)

13. Aug 3, 2006 #12
    http://www.brigadoonsoftware.com/

this company setup something like u sent an email to their server eveytime u log on to internet and they can trace where u from.

14. Jun 2, 2011 #13

rhody

Gold Member

Super Secret Software Saves a Stolen Laptop

No funny comments on necroposting either, hehe... and that includes you, Jimmy... this is a legitimate post.

Nice to know such things exist, especially with students who fall victim to thieves in college and are tech savy, now, you have a way to protect yourselves and fight back.

Rhody... :smile:

15. Jun 2, 2011 #14

JaredJames

Gold Member

Macs have similar software that has gained a lot of publicity recently.

They track the computer and take pictures and a few reports have come in of people being arrested with it.

I know iPhones have the same tech too, with a number of people being caught with them.

16. Jun 2, 2011 #15

rhody

Gold Member

Jared,

Isn't technology wonderful ?! Yep...

Rhody... :smile:

17. Jun 2, 2011 #16

JaredJames

Gold Member

I've always been curious why nobody implemented it earlier. Seems like a no brainer now it's here...

18. Jun 2, 2011 #17

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

There's a whole swack of device tracking software nowadays:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_device_tracking_software

The aforementioned PCPhoneHome is a rootkit that claims to be able to survive a format. LoJack resides in the BIOS / EFI.

Nevertheless, sufficiently persistent thieves could probably work around these issues. It'd make theft cost-prohibitive (maybe), but it's not impossible to overcome.

19. Jun 3, 2011 #18

Borg

Gold Member
    2015 Award

I saw this story this morning and got a good laugh. These recovery stories are becoming more common as the software becomes more popular. Here's one of the snapshots that came from the stolen laptop. :rofl:
    'This guy has my MacBook!' Blog, tweets help recover stolen computer

[​IMG]

20. Jun 3, 2011 #19

rhody

Gold Member

Borg,

That is almost as good as one of Jimmy Synder's zingers, thanks... You just made my day and it hasn't started yet ! What an ugly little twerp of a thief too.

Rhody... :rofl:

P.S. Long ago, on any home laptop I use, if I want privacy at home, I put a piece of tape over the camera in the top of the laptop. Now you can see why, even for rightful owners, too bad I can't disable the built in microphone as well.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  21. Jun 3, 2011 #20

Borg

Gold Member
    2015 Award

Glad that you enjoyed it. He is pretty goofy looking.

Here's another stupid criminal but, the owner didn't need tracking software.
    Burglar steals laptop then posts leering picture of himself on owner's Facebook page

That's right. Not his own Facebook page but the victim's page. The picture should have included a sign saying please put me in jail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?