Can strings change frequency or stop vibrating?

In summary, strings may be able to stop vibrating or change resonance frequency, which could explain 'virtual particle' clouds. If a string approaches the event horizon of a black hole, the frequency may slow down as time dialates. Additionally, Brian Greene discusses in 'The Elegant Universe' that strings themselves can be virtual, leading into virtual particles.
Barfield
Hello everyone,

I'm a undergraduate student in the field of physics. I'm working toward a BS in Physics from University of North Carolina at Wilmington.

I've been thinking about string modes of resonance lately and wonder if the theory allows strings to stop vibrating or change resonance frequency.

If so, this could explain 'virtual particle' clouds. Imagine:

A string that is not vibrating could not be detected by modern equipment. However, if that string suddenly started vibrating at the frequency of a photon, then it would seem to us the photon magically popped into existence from nowhere.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and responses! Especially those that include math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Barfield said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a undergraduate student in the field of physics. I'm working toward a BS in Physics from University of North Carolina at Wilmington.

I've been thinking about string modes of resonance lately and wonder if the theory allows strings to stop vibrating or change resonance frequency.

If so, this could explain 'virtual particle' clouds. Imagine:

A string that is not vibrating could not be detected by modern equipment. However, if that string suddenly started vibrating at the frequency of a photon, then it would seem to us the photon magically popped into existence from nowhere.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and responses! Especially those that include math.
It may be that the only thing keeping the string from collapsing into thin space is that it vibrates so that there is some energy to sustain it.

What if a string approaches the event horizon of a black hole? Wouldn't the frequency slow down as time dialates?

Mike2 said:
It may be that the only thing keeping the string from collapsing into thin space is that it vibrates so that there is some energy to sustain it.

What if a string approaches the event horizon of a black hole? Wouldn't the frequency slow down as time dialates?

Time doesn't dilate for an object falling near the event horizon, only for a far-awy observer watching that fall.

Someone deeper in string theory than I am can correct me, but I believe the frequency modes of a string depend on its momentum, which can vary.

Mike2 said:
I wonder then if there is a 'rest' mode of resonance or modes that cannot be detected by our current technology as particles. Could still work... if strings can change frequency. :smile:

Mike2 said:
A similar theory was discussed by Brian Greene in 'The Elegant Universe'. It pertained to the Big Crunch and says that our time is cyclic because of string reaction to being compressed under high gravity.

Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe
"The uncertainty principle ensures that nothing is ever perfectly at rest. All objects undergo quantum jitter..."

I knew that, I swear! So now I will revise my idea:

The energy embodied in a string vibrational pattern is a whole number multiple of http://www.planck.com/planckenergy.htm . Are there energy and/or resonance modes that we can't detect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure there are, in fact the immense majority of string theory is undetectable. Many of the resonances that a given model could predict in principle are far out of our observational means by something like 20 orders of magnitude.

Now if the question was, if we had a Planckian particle accelerator, are there modes we cannot detect? Well I guess the answer is, be more specific! We can never detect say a gluon in nature, but we can infer its presence by the way other particle/modes react to it.

Hi Haelfix,

While reading your post I got the feeling that maybe 'virtual particles' aren't so virtual. Maybe these particles simply change from being one particle into being another particle (internal string frequency changes), but we can't 'see' the second particle because its too massive. So, to us, the 'virtual particle' disappears and we don't see it again until its energy drops.

Last edited:
Reading again from 'The Elegant Universe', I find that strings themselves can be virtual - leading directly into virtual particles. Oh well... I tried!

1. Can the frequency of a vibrating string be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a vibrating string can be changed by altering its tension, length, or mass. Increasing the tension or decreasing the length will result in a higher frequency, while decreasing the tension or increasing the length will result in a lower frequency.

2. Can a string stop vibrating?

Yes, a string can stop vibrating if its energy is dissipated through friction or by transferring it to the surrounding air. This can happen naturally over time or can be intentionally stopped by damping the string with a finger or object.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a vibrating string?

The frequency of a vibrating string is affected by its tension, length, and mass. Additionally, the material and thickness of the string can also impact its frequency. The environment and any external forces acting on the string can also affect its frequency.

4. Can strings change frequency on their own?

No, strings cannot change frequency on their own. Any change in frequency is a result of external factors such as tension, length, or mass being altered or energy being dissipated.

5. How does temperature affect the frequency of a vibrating string?

Temperature can affect the frequency of a vibrating string by altering the tension or material properties of the string. As temperature increases, the tension in a string may decrease, resulting in a lower frequency. The material properties of the string can also change with temperature, which can impact its frequency.