1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Can TAG agreements from CCC to UC be declined even if you meet all the requirements?

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    The topic basically says it all, sorry if it shouldn't be that long but I'm new. First and foremost I must say that I'm planning on transferring from a California community college to UCSC using the TAG, I'm worried that I'll be rejected for some reason or another.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You won't be rejected, but you may not get your first choice of major. If your CCC GPA is good (3.5+), I wouldn't worry too much.

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the response it's just that the whole TAG process seems too good to be true, anybody who loves what there learning shouldn't have a problem doing well in that subject. It's usually the extras that get them, clubs and so fourth, not being apart of any or volunteer work. I was wondering if not having any of that to go along with the TAG might hurt your chances?

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, it is what it is, at least when I looked into it 4+ years ago. Basically, complete igetc, have 3.0+ GPA and apply to schools that participate in TAG. The only drawback is if your major is impacted, you may not be able to transfer into that major depending on transfer GPA.

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Dec 14, 2016 #6
    Thanks, yeah I keep a keen eye on that website. It's just I've seen a lot of people transferring and being rejected and wondering why they don't use the TAG, I asked one guy that's in my intro physics class and he says it's "not a forsure thing" and the counselors are always saying "nothing is guaranteed" so I wondered.

8. Dec 14, 2016 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing is ever guaranteed, even with TAG you might not get into the major you wanted. If you meet all the requirements you will get in though.

I wager to bet a lot of students don't know about TAG, or ULink, or any of the other programs to help them get into UC. There are also a lot of students who're rather marginal at CC, who're looking to get into "easier schools" compared to the UC campuses. There is also a significant portion who aren't looking to transfer for anything, and are there because their parents threatened to kick them out if they didn't go to school. Normally "good students" (read high GPA's) are trying for the Berkeley moonshot, which doesn't participate in TAG or ULink or ect so they never actually sign up for the programs.

I used ULink for UCSD, probably didn't need to though.

9. Dec 14, 2016 #8
    True, at the same time almost all accepted transfers to uc are from ccc according to the uc website, so I figure l most likely misunderstood the counselor when we were discussing it.

10. Dec 14, 2016 #9
    Thanks for you time dude

11. Dec 14, 2016 #10
  12. Dec 14, 2016 #11

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In the lower right corner of the posts you make, you can hit edit if you make a mistake. :cool:

Good luck at UC!

:welcome:

13. Dec 14, 2016 #12
    Cool lol I did not know that

14. Dec 14, 2016 #13
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted