Can the isothermal expansion of an ideal gas be irreversible?

In summary, for the reversible expansion of an ideal gas, the heat flowing out of the surroundings and into the system is equal to the work done by the system. However, in an irreversible expansion, the process is spontaneous and therefore irreversible, and the expansion cannot be isothermal as the temperatures of the system and surroundings must become equal. One possible way to have an isothermal, quasi-static, but irreversible process is to have friction between the piston and the cylinder, which would require additional energy from the environment in the form of heat and would result in a decrease in entropy for the surroundings. Further exploration and discussion on this topic can be found in a related thread on Physics Forums.
Philip Koeck
For the reversible expansion of an ideal gas the heat flowing out of the surroundings and into the system is equal to the work done by the system. Since both system and surroundings have the same constant temperature the entropy increase of the system is equal to the entropy decrease of the surroundings giving a total entropy change of zero.
What would have to be different in an irreversible expansion and could this process still be isothermal?
An example I can come up with is: If the temperature of the surroundings is higher than that of the system then the entropy decrease of the surroundings is smaller than the increase in the system so the process is irreversible. However, I don't see how it still can be isothermal.

Science news on Phys.org
Please describe in more detail the irreversible process you are envisioning.

Chestermiller said:
Please describe in more detail the irreversible process you are envisioning.
A cylinder with a piston contains an ideal gas at temperature Ts.
If I now place this cylinder in thermal contact with an environment at temperature Te which is slightly higher than Ts it will expand and do work. At the same time heat will flow into the system.
I would say this is a spontaneous and therefore irreversible process.
We could also assume that this process proceeds very slowly so we can describe it as quasi-static.
However, this expansion can't be isothermal, since in the end the temperatures of system and environment have to become equal.
This is just one example of trying to imagine a process that is isothermal and quasi-static, but irreversible.
Could it be that all isothermal processes that are sufficiently slow have to be reversible?

Philip Koeck said:
A cylinder with a piston contains an ideal gas at temperature Ts.
If I now place this cylinder in thermal contact with an environment at temperature Te which is slightly higher than Ts it will expand and do work. At the same time heat will flow into the system.
I would say this is a spontaneous and therefore irreversible process.
We could also assume that this process proceeds very slowly so we can describe it as quasi-static.
However, this expansion can't be isothermal, since in the end the temperatures of system and environment have to become equal.
This is just one example of trying to imagine a process that is isothermal and quasi-static, but irreversible.
Could it be that all isothermal processes that are sufficiently slow have to be reversible?
You are asking us to conceive of processes that are isothermal, quasi-static, but irreversible. I can't think of any except possibly for one that has friction between the piston and the cylinder (in a specially defined way, such as where the coefficients of static- and kinetic friction between the piston and cylinder are equal, so there is a smooth transition). Another case would be one in which chemical reaction is occurring within the gas.

Chestermiller said:
You are asking us to conceive of processes that are isothermal, quasi-static, but irreversible. I can't think of any except possibly for one that has friction between the piston and the cylinder (in a specially defined way, such as where the coefficients of static- and kinetic friction between the piston and cylinder are equal, so there is a smooth transition). Another case would be one in which chemical reaction is occurring within the gas.
I want to stay away from reactions since I'm only thinking about an ideal gas, but I'll give the friction-case a go.
If I start with a frictionless, reversible, quasi-static, isothermal expansion the work done by the system (gas in the cylinder) is equal to the heat transferred from the environment to the system.
The inner energy of the system and thus its temperature are constant.
Now I'll add a little friction between the cylinder wall and the piston, but I still assume a very slow (quasi-static) expansion.
The system now has to do a bit of extra work to overcome the friction. Where does this work come from?
One possibility would be that the inner energy of the system decreases to provide the work, but then the expansion is not isothermal.
The other possibility is that the environment provides the energy for the extra work in form of extra heat going into the system. That would lead to an additional decrease of the environment's entropy compared to the reversible case. Not sure how that works. There would have to be some extra increase in entropy somewhere else to give an increase of the total entropy required for an irreversible process.

Philip Koeck said:
I want to stay away from reactions since I'm only thinking about an ideal gas, but I'll give the friction-case a go.
If I start with a frictionless, reversible, quasi-static, isothermal expansion the work done by the system (gas in the cylinder) is equal to the heat transferred from the environment to the system.
The inner energy of the system and thus its temperature are constant.
Now I'll add a little friction between the cylinder wall and the piston, but I still assume a very slow (quasi-static) expansion.
The system now has to do a bit of extra work to overcome the friction. Where does this work come from?
One possibility would be that the inner energy of the system decreases to provide the work, but then the expansion is not isothermal.
The other possibility is that the environment provides the energy for the extra work in form of extra heat going into the system. That would lead to an additional decrease of the environment's entropy compared to the reversible case. Not sure how that works. There would have to be some extra increase in entropy somewhere else to give an increase of the total entropy required for an irreversible process.
My buddy @Robert Davidson and I have been working on ideal gas adiabatic expansion with friction included in the following thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/thermodynamics-gas-expansion-with-piston-friction.963282/. Lately, Bob appears to have lost enthusiasm for continuing. But, you are welcome to join us. Extending this to contact with a constant temperature reservoir wouldn't be too complicated.

Likes Philip Koeck

1. Can the isothermal expansion of an ideal gas be irreversible?

Yes, it is possible for the isothermal expansion of an ideal gas to be irreversible. This means that the expansion process cannot be reversed back to its original state without some external intervention.

2. What factors contribute to the irreversibility of isothermal expansion?

The irreversibility of isothermal expansion is mainly affected by the presence of external forces, such as friction and heat transfer, which can cause the gas to deviate from its ideal behavior and lead to energy losses.

3. Can irreversible isothermal expansion occur in a perfectly insulated system?

No, in a perfectly insulated system, the isothermal expansion of an ideal gas will always be reversible. This is because there are no external forces or energy transfers that can cause the gas to deviate from its ideal behavior.

4. How does irreversible isothermal expansion affect the work done by the gas?

In irreversible isothermal expansion, the work done by the gas will be less than the work done in a reversible expansion process. This is due to the energy losses caused by external forces and heat transfer.

5. Can the irreversibility of isothermal expansion be avoided?

It is not possible to completely avoid the irreversibility of isothermal expansion, but it can be minimized by reducing the external forces and heat transfer through proper insulation and reducing the speed of the expansion process.