Can the ratio of two irrationals be rational?

In summary, there can exist a rational number ratio for any two irrational numbers, but this is only true if one irrational number is an integer multiple of the other. Any nonzero integer multiple of an irrational number is also irrational, making it impossible for the ratio of two irrational numbers to be rational. This is due to the definition of irrational numbers as numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.
Loren Booda
Does there exist a rational number ratio for any two irrational numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let x be an irrational number.

x / x = 1.

Also, any nonzero integer multiple of x is irrational.

Proof: If x is irrational, then by definition it cannot be expressed in the form p / q, for all integers p and q (q ~= 0). Now let us consider n*x, where n is a nonzero integer. Let us assume that n*x is rational. If this is the case, then n*x = p/q, for some integers p and q. But re-arranging this equation we get x = p/n*q. Since p/n*q is the ratio of two integers, it is a rational number. But this contradicts our initial assumption that x is irrational. Therefore, n*x must also be irrational.

So for any irrational x, n*x/m*x is a rational ratio, where n and m are integers and m ~= 0.

Last edited:
Your question is ambiguous. The title "Can the ratio of two irrationals be rational?" seems to ask whether there exist two irrationals whose ratio is rational. That is easy to answer: certainly. Take any irrational x, Let y= 2x. Then then y is also an irrational but the ratio of x to y is 2.

But then you ask "Does there exist a rational number ratio for any two irrational numbers?" which, as well as "do there exist any two rational numbers whose ratio is rational" (the question above), could be interpreted as: "Given any two rational numbers, is there ratio rational?" and the answer to that is, just as obviously, no. [sqrt](2) and [sqrt](3) are irrational and their ratio is not rational.

HallsofIvy,
"Given any two rational numbers, is there ratio rational?" and the answer to that is, just as obviously, no.
I assume a typo here on your part. Yes, I tend to make ambiguous mathematical statements. I had originally questioned my use of the word "any." I see your point in this regard. Mea culpa.

hypnagogue,

Your mathematical imagery was simpler than I thought possible for solving the problem at hand. The answer, I guess, is a standard in the field.

Hypnagogics are one of my favorite pastimes, and "help" me visualize possible physical situations.

Loren,
I actually don't know how standard the solution is, or what field in particular it might apply to. The answer just made itself apparent to me, that if the ratio of two irrationals were to be rational then that must imply that one irrational is an integer multiple of the other. Proving that turned out to be easier than I thought it might be, given the simple definition of what an irrational is.

I'm quite intrigued by hypnagogics too, as you might be able to tell. :smile: Although for me they are usually spontaneous, ie I don't have any conscious control over them.

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It is a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal.

2. Can the ratio of two irrational numbers be rational?

Yes, it is possible for the ratio of two irrational numbers to be rational. This occurs when the irrational numbers have a common factor that can be cancelled out, resulting in a rational number.

3. How do you determine if the ratio of two irrational numbers is rational?

To determine if the ratio of two irrational numbers is rational, you can simplify the ratio to its lowest terms. If the simplified ratio is a rational number, then the original ratio is also rational.

4. Are there any known examples of the ratio of two irrational numbers being rational?

Yes, there are many known examples of the ratio of two irrational numbers being rational. One example is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, which is pi (an irrational number) divided by 2 (also an irrational number), resulting in the rational number 1/2.

5. What is the importance of understanding whether the ratio of two irrational numbers can be rational?

Understanding whether the ratio of two irrational numbers can be rational is important in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for more accurate calculations and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in these fields.