Can the Visible Spectrum be Seen on an Antenna Oscillating at one of the Frequencies?

• Thread starter ChrisAndre
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If an oscillator were to ever reach the visible spectrum, would an antenna connected with the oscillator output generate light?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award

No, because the cable between the oscillator and the antenna does not transmit at those frequencies. You can't see through copper.

Okay, Thanks. But, as far as I know, no frequency can pass through metal. So if somehow a radio generator works it must be emitting in some way that bypasses the metal obstruction (maybe the surface is where the output wave is generated?) If light behaves mostly like the generic radio wave then I'm guessing that it can be transmitted like radio waves. But I do understand that a cable probably wouldn't carry a frequency like that. I'm guessing it's the capacitance.

Another question: can photomixing* be used to generate an oscillation at visible spectrum frequencies? Say just bombarding a target with a single laser beam to create the frequency in resistance that can be used with some sort of mechanism that won't dissipate the oscillation.

*photomixing involves bombarding GaAs with two different lasers to create varying resistance in the GaAs that is a frequency that is the difference of the laser wavelengths; to my knowledge it has so far been used to generate terahertz radiation, or far infrared waves.