1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the Z component of an electric field dissipate energy to XY plane?

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Say if I have an EM wave with electric field (x, y, z) = (0, 0, E_z), and magnetic field (x, y, z) = (H_x, H_y, 0).

Can this wave's electric field dissipate energy to the XY plane? Like, if I had 2D cells in the XY plane that absorb energy from an electric field, will they gain energy from the E_z component of this EM wave?

My trivial understanding says the answer is yes, because the electric field energy at each point on the XY plane would be

E_xy = ∫E_z(x, y) dxdy

and so long as E_z(x, y) is not zero, then the integral would be non-zero. But something doesn't seem right ... how can a field propagating in a direction orthogonal to a plane dissipate energy to that plane?

Best,
    confused

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted