Is Complexity in the Universe Emergent from Simpler Systems?

• Thread starter BruceNakagawa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary: It is plausible to assume that rather than being the quantum reality that produces the larger universe, couldn't it be in fact the opposite?There is a fallacy in the assumption because it is not based on evidence.
BruceNakagawa
While discussing cosmology and quantum mechanics with a colleague, a strange idea began to emerge in our collective argument, and I was wondering if someone here could comment on the plausibility of this argument.

The argument goes as follows, if we establish as an absolute truth that complexity is emergent, the idea that complex systems can only naturally emerge out of simpler systems, if we treat this idea as a raw absolute, when we consider the fabric of reality as a whole what we perceive (from our limited perspective), is that the world of the very large, the entire universe as a single unit, is a much simpler construct than the components "within", complexity then appears to be emergent, we have small complexity when we treat the larger universe as a single unit and has a tendency into higher complexity in direct proportionality with smaller scales.

My question is then, is it plausible to assume that rather than being the quantum reality that produces the larger universe, couldn't it be in fact the opposite?

Has anyone proposed this as a theory before, and if so, can I read more about it?

Is this theory disprovable by something I'm failing to consider?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum theory IS the simple structure from which complexity emerges. The very basic assumption of QM is that time evolution operator is linear. You cannot get simpler than that.

From strictly a LOGIC standpoint - if one offers a Specific example then goes on to provide a UNIVERSAL statement drawn from this example, the whole statement fails if you have ONE example that refutes the specific statement ( example - i have a cat, my cat has fleas, therefore all cats have fleas) refuted by one person having a cat that does not nor ever has had fleas. Now compare the general to specific ( all automobiles have four wheels, I own an automobile, therefore my automobile has four wheels...)

K^2 said:
Quantum theory IS the simple structure from which complexity emerges. The very basic assumption of QM is that time evolution operator is linear. You cannot get simpler than that.

Yes, but there are still fallacies within quantum mechanics and/or it's correlation with large scale structure such as the exact mechanism from which gravity emerges and what it actually is.

I have basically two questions.

First, in abstraction, is there any logical fallacy in the assumption that instead of big systems being produced by simpler ones, it could in fact be that big systems are in fact the components of smaller systems?

If the answer to the first question is illogical, please ignore the following question.

Second, considering that the first assumption is logically coherent, what specifically prohibits the quantum world of being an emergent aspect of the larger universe?

for your question. I am always open to considering new ideas and theories, and I appreciate your curiosity and critical thinking. However, it is important to note that the plausibility of an argument depends on the evidence and logical reasoning behind it. In this case, the argument you have presented is interesting, but it is not entirely clear and lacks supporting evidence.

First, the idea that complexity is emergent is a well-established concept in science, particularly in fields such as biology and physics. It is based on the understanding that complex systems can arise from simpler systems through the process of emergence. However, the statement that "complex systems can only naturally emerge out of simpler systems" is not necessarily an absolute truth. There may be other factors at play, such as environmental conditions or external influences, that can also contribute to the emergence of complexity.

Furthermore, the argument that the larger universe is a simpler construct than its smaller components is not necessarily supported by current scientific evidence. In fact, our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving and becoming more complex as we discover new phenomena and theories. Additionally, the idea that complexity increases in direct proportionality with smaller scales is not a universally accepted concept in science.

As for your question about whether the quantum reality could be producing the larger universe, this is a topic that is still being explored and debated in the scientific community. While some theories suggest that the quantum realm may have an impact on the macroscopic world, there is currently no definitive evidence to support this idea.

In summary, while your argument may be an interesting thought experiment, it is not yet a fully developed theory that can be considered as a plausible explanation for the fabric of reality. I would recommend further research and consideration of existing scientific evidence before proposing this as a potential theory.

1. Can an argument be logical even if it goes against common beliefs or societal norms?

Yes, an argument can still be logical regardless of its alignment with common beliefs or societal norms. Logic is based on reasoning and evidence, not personal beliefs or societal expectations.

2. Does a logical argument always lead to a correct conclusion?

No, a logical argument can still have flawed reasoning or insufficient evidence, leading to an incorrect conclusion. However, a logical argument is more likely to lead to a correct conclusion than an illogical one.

3. Can personal biases affect the logic of an argument?

Yes, personal biases can greatly influence the logic of an argument. It is important for a scientist to be aware of their biases and strive for objectivity in their reasoning and evidence.

4. Is there a universal standard for determining if an argument is logical or not?

While there are general principles of logic that are widely accepted, there is no definitive universal standard for determining the logic of an argument. Different fields of study may have different standards and approaches to evaluating the logic of an argument.

5. Can a logical argument be subjective?

Yes, a logical argument can still be subjective, as it may be based on personal opinions or interpretations. However, a logical argument should strive to be as objective as possible, relying on evidence and sound reasoning rather than personal bias or emotions.