Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can this be possible

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    Fart = v2

Fart = Fg

Therefore, Fg = v2

Fg = weight

Fg = may

v2y = may

v = square root of ma

v = at

square root of ma = at

the a's cancel out and I'm left with square root m = t

m=mass , t=time , Fg=force of gravity , v=velocity , y=yaxis , ar=air resistance , art=air resistance at terminal velocity , a=acceleration

This is obviously wrong, but what makes it so? As long as it is at terminal velocity and at y axis, in other words, uniform motion, there is obviously no way to come to terms with a relationship between mass and time, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    You lost me at the first line.

Are you stating that the force from the air resistance on an object is equal to its velocity squared? Where did you get this relationship from?

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    force of air resistance at terminal velocity

5. Oct 21, 2008 #4
    According to who or what law? Do you have a reference or a source for this equation?

6. Oct 21, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

This is a gag thread, right? We don't generally deal with the dynamics of farts here.

7. Oct 22, 2008 #6
    This is probably completly unrlated but did I see somewhere distance being the squarroot of time?

8. Oct 22, 2008 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order for the first relationship to hold you need to throw in a proportionality constant with the correct units to make that a consistent statement. Force does not have the same units as velocity squared so something is missing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?