Solving an Impossible Angle?

In summary, the problem involves a solid bowling ball rolling down a 12.00 meter high hill and then launching off a ramp at an unknown angle, traveling a distance of 200.0 meters with a speed of 13.09 meters per second. The goal is to solve for the unknown angle, but the given information of the ball traveling 200.0 meters may seem impossible. However, by using the range equation of a projectile and taking the inverse sine of the calculated value, it is possible to solve for the angle.
kurgen88

Homework Statement

A solid bowling ball rolls down a hill with a height of 12.00 meters. The end of the hill has a ramp/jump which has an unknown angle above the horizontal. When the ball leaves the ramp at the unkown angle, its speed is13.09 meters per second and travels a distance of 200.0 meters.

I need to solve for the angle which the ball leaves the ramp, but the fact that the ball travels 200.0 meters seems like it is impossible. Is this a trick question? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve for this?

Homework Equations

gravity*distance=-2V^2 * sin(theta)cos(theta)

or...

-Sin(2theta) = (gravity/initial velocity^2)

...where gravity = 10.0 meters/sec^2

I have tried to solve this way but I don't think I can isolate theta from Sin(2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look in your handbook at the section on projectile motion. Try and find the range equation of a projectile. The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels from the launching point up to the point where it hits the ground.

I am at the point given in the equation below. Is it possible to solve for theta here? Can you use algebra to extract theta form sin(2*theta) ? What happens to sin(2 ?

-Sin(2theta) = (gravity/initial velocity^2)

If you take the inverse sine of the calculated value (arcsin) you will get an angle. This angle is then twice the angle you want ([tex]2\theta _o[/tex]).

Note that in your equation above you omitted R.

1. What is an impossible angle?

An impossible angle is a geometric angle that cannot be physically created or measured. It is a theoretical concept that does not exist in reality.

2. Why is it impossible to solve an impossible angle?

It is impossible to solve an impossible angle because it defies the laws of geometry. According to these laws, an angle must be between 0 and 180 degrees, and an impossible angle does not fall within this range.

3. Can an impossible angle be visualized?

No, an impossible angle cannot be visualized as it does not have a physical existence. It can only be represented as a concept or idea in mathematical or scientific discussions.

4. Is there a way to solve an impossible angle?

No, there is no way to solve an impossible angle. It is considered an unsolvable problem in mathematics and geometry.

5. Why do scientists study impossible angles?

Scientists study impossible angles to better understand the limitations and boundaries of geometry. It also helps to push the boundaries of mathematical knowledge and explore new concepts and theories.