Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can this be solved?

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    This is not a homework problem, I just thought of it when I was looking at problems with it being just y and not y^2. Here's the problem. It's entirely possible that it's not solvable, I'm just curious.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's non-linear so solving it won't be easy. There is, however, a theorem that says every first order d.e. has an "integrating" factor. You can write that as [itex]dy/dx= x- y^2[/itex] so [itex] dy= (x- y^2)dx[/itex] or [itex]dy+ (y^2- x)dx= 0[/itex]. There must exist some function v(x,y) such that [itex]v(x,y)dy+ v(x,y)(y^2-x)dx= 0[/itex] is "exact": that is so that there exist a function f(x,y) so that [itex]df= vdy+ v(y^2-x)dx[/itex]. If that is true then we must have [itex]v_x= (v(y^2-x))_y[/itex].

But there is no theorem that says it will be easy to find v(x,y)!
  4. Apr 2, 2008 #3
    This equation is of the Riccati type. It can be transformed into a linear one by using the substitution:

[tex]y(x)=\frac{1}{u(x)}\cdot \frac{du(x)}{dx}[/tex]

Giving thus as transformed equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}-x\cdot u = 0[/tex]

Which is the one of Airy, with known solution. After the inverse transformation you get the solution of the original equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?