Can this integral be solved using substitution?

• Thread starter digink
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int tan^2x sec^3x dx using different methods, including substitution and integration by parts. The participants also discuss the mistakes made in the original solution and offer alternative solutions.
digink
I was given this problem and the persom whom I received it from told me they couldn't see how it would he solved or even if it had an answer. I think I might have come to a conclusion even thought it might be wrong, what do you guys think

[tex]\int tan^2x sec^3x dx[/tex]

this is what I've been able to conclude, might be wrong but I gave it a shot

[tex]\int tan^2x sec^3x = \int (sin^2x/cos^2x)(1/cos^3x) dx[/tex]
[tex]\int (sin^2x)(cos x)/(cos^3x) dx = \int sin^2x/cos^2x = \int tan^2x[/tex]
[tex]= sec^2x + c[/tex]

Im guessing that's probably wrong, but what do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake when you "cancelled" the cosines.

[tex]\frac{\sin^2{x}}{\cos^2{x}} \cdot \frac{1}{\cos^3{x}} = \frac{\sin^2{x}}{\cos^5{x}}[/tex].

oops for some reason my brain was thinking common denominator, ill try to see if I can solve it with what you just gave.. I figured if their was a mistake it was at that step.

edit: BTW can anyone else tell me if Muzza is right and I was wrong at that step? I am thinking its correct but like I said some of you guys know a lot more then me.

Last edited:
yes it can be solved

Muzza is correct...

marlon

Last edited:
Since it is not in the HW section,i'll solve most of it...

[tex] I=\int \tan^{2}x \sec^{3}x dx=\int \frac{\sin^{2}x}{\cos^{5}x} dx [/tex] (1)

Use part integration to get:

[tex] I=\sin x \cdot (-1)\frac{\cos^{-4}x}{-4}-\frac{1}{4} \int \frac{dx}{\cos^{3}x} dx [/tex] (2)

Denote the last integral by J and it is computed as follows:

[tex] J=\int \frac{\cos x}{\cos^{4}x} dx=\int \frac{d(\sin x)}{(1-\sin^{2}x)^{2}} [/tex] (3)

Making the obvious substitution
[tex] \sin x =u [/tex] (4)
,"J" becomes:
[tex]J=\int \frac{du}{(1-u^{2})^{2}} =\int \frac{du}{(1+u)^{2}(1-u)^{2}} [/tex] (5)

Hopefully the decomposition into simple fractions that i made is correct:

[tex] \frac{1}{(1+u)^{2}(1-u)^{2}}=\frac{1}{4}\frac{u}{(1+u)^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{(1+u)^{2}}-\frac{1}{4}\frac{u}{(1-u)^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{(1-u)^{2}} [/tex] (6)

I'll let you compute the 4 elementary integrals that would yield "J" in terms of "u" and then invert the substitution (4) and finally compute "I" from (2).

Good luck!

Daniel.

Last edited:
An alternative to Daniel's approach, is to use the [tex]u=tan(\frac{x}{2})[/tex] substitution.
Since you chose not to post in the homework section, I won't give you the solution..:wink:

Guess what,Arildno...Wolfram Integrator's Mathematica 5.0 reccomends the same "tangent of half-angle" substitution... :tongue2:

Did u have a contribution at that software's birth...?? :confused: :wink:

Daniel.

P.S.I knew about the solution Mathematica offered before "cooking" the solution... :cool: But i found it :yuck:

Hey dexter I am sorry but you sort of lost me at step 2 when you did the integration by parts. Were you using this formula(this is off the top of my head might be slightly different):

[tex]\int f(x)g'(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - \int f'(x)g(x) dx ?[/tex]

Also I am not 100% sure how to implement this at the moment but if the top if the direvative of the bottom can't you implement the natural log (1/u)? I am not sure if that can be done with this case.

Thanks.

digink said:
Hey dexter I am sorry but you sort of lost me at step 2 when you did the integration by parts. Were you using this formula(this is off the top of my head might be slightly different):

[tex]\int f(x)g'(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - \int f'(x)g(x) dx ?[/tex]

Yes,of course...

digink said:
Also I am not 100% sure how to implement this at the moment but if the top if the direvative of the bottom can't you implement the natural log (1/u)? I am not sure if that can be done with this case.

Thanks.

Well,at the moment i used,no...But in the progress of computing the 4 simple integrals,yes,natural logarithm pops up...

Daniel.

Couldn't the integral be solved more easily with substitution?

[itex]\int (\sec^2x - 1)\sec^3x dx[/itex]

perhaps
[itex]\int \sec^5x - \sec^3x dx[/itex]

and then applying power reduction formulas... I'm not sure, because I don't know what they are off-hand, but I remember evaluating integrals similar to that by using subbing a simple trig identity as the first step.

Last edited:
I don't know...Why don't u solve it and compare to my solution??And then with Mathematica's solution (half angle substitution)...

Daniel.

DoubleMike said:
Couldn't the integral be solved more easily with substitution?

[itex]\int (\sec^2x - 1)\sec^3x dx[/itex]

perhaps
[itex]\int \sec^5x - \sec^3x dx[/itex]

and then applying power reduction formulas... I'm not sure, because I don't know what they are off-hand, but I remember evaluating integrals similar to that by using subbing a simple trig identity as the first step.

that to me looks like it can also work, I am feeling really lazy right now or i'd solve it, ill try it tomorrow.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

1. Can this problem be solved?

This is a common question when faced with a challenging problem. The answer is, it depends. Some problems are straightforward and have known solutions, while others may require more time, resources, or research to solve. As a scientist, it is important to approach each problem with an open mind and a willingness to explore different solutions.

2. What is the most efficient way to solve this problem?

Efficiency is a key consideration in problem-solving, especially in the scientific community. The answer to this question will vary depending on the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the problem before determining the most efficient approach. This may involve breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts or utilizing existing knowledge and technology.

3. How long will it take to solve this problem?

The timeline for solving a problem can vary greatly. It may take minutes, days, or even years to find a solution. The time it takes to solve a problem depends on factors such as the complexity of the problem, available resources, and the approach taken. As a scientist, it is important to be patient and persistent when tackling difficult problems.

4. What are the potential challenges in solving this problem?

Challenges are an inevitable part of problem-solving. It is important to anticipate and identify potential challenges that may arise during the problem-solving process. These challenges may include limited resources, conflicting data, or unexpected outcomes. As a scientist, it is important to be prepared to face these challenges and adapt accordingly.

5. How will we know when the problem is solved?

Defining success in problem-solving is crucial. It is important to establish clear criteria for what constitutes a solution to the problem at hand. This may involve specific measurements, outcomes, or goals. As a scientist, it is important to regularly assess progress and adjust the approach as needed to ensure that the problem is indeed solved.