Can this geometry probelm be solved?

• Thread starter Dunkaroos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding the area of a shaded region in a circle. The conversation covers various approaches to solving the problem, including using formulas, integration, and considering symmetry. The final answer is found to be 1 + pi/3 - sqrt(3), with some individuals also discussing a 3D equivalent of the problem and the possibility of generalizing it to n-cubes and n-spheres.
Dunkaroos
I had it on a math competition today and I couldn't think of anything. Express using variables.

Any insights guys?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8684/math1wy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
My first thought is tedius, but completely straightforward.

Do you know the area of a sector of a circle? Can you find the area of a similar shape whose vertex is not at the center of the circle? If so, then you can find the area of this shaded region.

^ Sorry... I don't.

I'm a high school senior if that matters.

Actually, it's a very simple calculation. You can just treat the required area as the sum of 4 equal segments (not sectors) of the circle plus the inscribed square.

To find the area of one segment use the formula [tex]a = \frac{1}{2}r^2(\theta - \sin\theta)[/tex]. [tex]\theta[/tex] is labelled as angle PDQ in the attachment.

To find [tex]\theta[/tex], observe that two of the quarter-circle arcs meet at a point corresponding to a vertical distance halfway along the side of the square (in order to preserve symmetry). An equilateral triangle PDC is formed by 3 lengths, one of them being the side of the circumscribing square (DC) (which is also the radius of the circle) and the others being the chords going from the corners of the square to the circle. Hence the angle subtended by the chord and the side of the square angle PDC is [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]. [tex]\theta[/tex] can be calculated from this by subtracting [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] and doubling, i.e. [tex]\theta = 2(\frac{\pi}{3} - \frac{\pi}{4}) = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex].

The rest of the calculation is easy. Just plug in the value of theta to find the area of one segment and multiply by four. To find the area of the inscribed square, use the side (given by [tex]2r\sin{(\frac{\pi}{12})}[/tex] and square that. Add it all up to give the required area.

BTW, not to give away the exact answer, but I get mine as being slightly less than a third of the area of the big circumscribing square.

Attachments

• math1wy.jpg
    math1wy.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
now that the four arcs intersect relative to 4 centers of 4 edges
You choose center of square is (0,0), then points are from -a to a.
That problem can be solved by integrate y=mx^2+nx+p
m,n,p are constants found by picking up 3 special points
finally multiply 4 to find the result

Boaboa said:
now that the four arcs intersect relative to 4 centers of 4 edges
You choose center of square is (0,0), then points are from -a to a.
That problem can be solved by integrate y=mx^2+nx+p
m,n,p are constants found by picking up 3 special points
finally multiply 4 to find the result

Isn't that overkill for this problem?

I got 1 + pi/3 - sqrt(3).

Thats assuming its a unit square of course (othewise just multiply by the area of the square).

I used :
Area = 2 times Area "()" plus 4 times Area "/\" minus 1 times Area of outer square.

Sorry about the cryptic descriptions of the regions but I'm too lazy to draw a proper diagram. Area "()" refers to the region that looks a bit like that and "/\" refers to the little inverted V shaped region with base BC.

uart said:
I got 1 + pi/3 - sqrt(3).
This is correct, I found the same answer through a geometrical approach.

Check using calculus:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
8\int\limits_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{4}} {\int\limits_{\frac{1}{{2\sin t}}}^1 {rdr} dt} = 8\int\limits_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{4}} {\left[ {\frac{{r^2 }}{2}} \right]_{\frac{1}{{2\sin t}}}^1 dt} = 8\int\limits_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{4}} {\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{{8\sin ^2 t}}dt} = 8\left[ {\frac{t}{2} + \frac{{\cot t}}{8}} \right]_{\frac{\pi }{6}}^{\frac{\pi }{4}} \\ \\
= 8\left( {\left( {\frac{\pi }{8} + \frac{1}{8}} \right) - \left( {\frac{\pi }{{12}} + \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}{8}} \right)} \right) = 8 \cdot \frac{{\pi - 3\sqrt 3 + 3}}{{24}} = \frac{\pi }{3} - \sqrt 3 + 1 \approx 0.315 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

I integrated over the http://www.td-hosting.com/wisfaq/cirkels.gif" , multiplied by 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the 3D-equivalent is a bit more challenging.
A unit cube with a unit sphere on each vertex. Find the common volume.

Or would it even be possible to generalize this to n-cubes with n-spheres, creating a common n-volume? This is over my head :redface:

Thank You very much!

Can it be solved without Calculus?

Dunkaroos said:
Thank You very much!

Can it be solved without Calculus?

Yes! For example, see my post.:smile:

Just keep in mind the symmetry of this problem...it should help significantly.

Well, there's something I'm not getting on this problem. basicly i found the intersection between each 2 quarters of circle:

A() = 2A0/4 - A[] = A0/2 - A []

then i found the common area between the 4 quarters:

Ac = A0 - A[]

Now, from what i think:

Ac = 2*A() + 2*A

However I'm getting A= (r^2)/2 which can't be true.

Where am i wrong?

You guys are right...

The answer was given to me today

1. Can all geometry problems be solved?

No, not all geometry problems can be solved. Some problems, such as trisecting an angle or squaring a circle, have been proven to be impossible to solve using traditional geometric methods.

2. What are some common techniques used to solve geometry problems?

Some common techniques used to solve geometry problems include using basic geometric principles and theorems, constructing diagrams and visual aids, and applying algebraic equations and formulas.

3. How do you know if a geometry problem is solvable?

A geometry problem is typically considered solvable if it has a specific question or goal that can be achieved using known geometric principles and techniques. If the problem is well-defined and does not require impossible constructions, it is likely solvable.

4. Can geometry problems be solved using technology?

Yes, technology such as calculators and computer software can be used to solve geometry problems. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and methods behind the solution, rather than simply relying on technology.

5. Are there any tips for approaching geometry problems?

Some tips for approaching geometry problems include carefully reading the problem and identifying given information and what is being asked, drawing accurate diagrams, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and checking for logical errors in the solution.