Can this in any way be considered to be a circularly polarized wave?

• Thread starter DocZaius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, your friend is correct - at any z location, field is circulating in direction with time. And that means a CP (circularly polarized) wave. Thanks for the clarification!
DocZaius
Can this in any way be considered a circularly polarized wave?

Can this wave in any way be considered circularly polarized?

[itex]\overrightarrow {E}\left( z,t\right) =\left[\widehat {i}\cos \left( \omega t\right) +\widehat {j}\cos \left( wt-\dfrac {\pi } {2}\right)\right] E_{0}\sin \left( kz\right)[/itex]

I say no, since there is no twisting along the direction of propagation. If you plug in t=0 for instance, the vectors will be pointing entirely in the x-axis direction.

My friend disagrees and mentions the phase shift in the y-axis as evidence for circular polarization.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
DocZaius said:
Can this wave in any way be considered circularly polarized?

[itex]\overrightarrow {E}\left( z,t\right) =\left[\widehat {i}\cos \left( \omega t\right) +\widehat {j}\cos \left( wt-\dfrac {\pi } {2}\right)\right] E_{0}\sin \left( kz\right)[/itex]

I say no, since there is no twisting along the direction of propagation. If you plug in t=0 for instance, the vectors will be pointing entirely in the x-axis direction.

My friend disagrees and mentions the phase shift in the y-axis as evidence for circular polarization.
Your friend is right - at any z location, field is circulating in direction with time. And that means a CP (circularly polarized) wave. You appear to be confusing CP with corkscrew motion that would apply to propagation down a twisted waveguide.

Thanks for the quick reply!

DocZaius said:
Thanks for the quick reply!
You're welcome - I just happened to be viewing at the time and felt the impulse to respond! :smile:

I should add that your expression in #1 represents a standing wave CP (sum of two counter-propagating CP waves of opposite CP polarization) not propagating one. For a single propagating CP wave, the sin(kz) term is absent and the cos(ωt), cos(ωt-π/2) arguments are replaced with cos(ωt-kz-θ), cos(ωt-π/2-kz-θ) respectively, with θ determined by the given t=0 temporal phase conditions at z=0. That may represent a LCP wave (left circularly polarized) - counterclockwise rotation of field as viewed along propagation axis with wave receding. For a RCP wave, an extra phase angle of π is added to either one, but not both, of the above arguments for cos. Convention for handedness can vary, but I believe above is the more standard one.

Last edited:

1. What is a circularly polarized wave?

A circularly polarized wave is an electromagnetic wave in which the electric and magnetic fields rotate in a circular motion. This means that the direction of the electric and magnetic fields change continuously as the wave propagates through space.

2. How is circular polarization different from linear polarization?

In linearly polarized waves, the electric and magnetic fields oscillate in a fixed direction. In circularly polarized waves, the direction of the fields rotates as the wave travels, creating a spiral motion. This is in contrast to elliptical polarization, where the direction of the fields oscillate in an elliptical pattern.

3. What causes a wave to be circularly polarized?

Circular polarization can be created by passing a linearly polarized wave through a quarter-wave plate, which introduces a phase shift between the x and y components of the wave. It can also occur naturally in certain types of antennas and in the presence of magnetic fields.

4. How is circular polarization used in technology?

Circular polarization has many practical applications in technology, such as in satellite communication and wireless systems. It is also used in 3D glasses, where different circularly polarized waves are used for each eye to create a 3D effect. Circularly polarized light is also important in optical microscopy and medical imaging.

5. Can circularly polarized waves be harmful to humans?

No, circularly polarized waves are not inherently harmful to humans. They are a type of electromagnetic radiation, just like visible light, and are present in nature. However, high-powered circularly polarized waves used in certain technologies, such as radar and microwave ovens, can be harmful if proper safety precautions are not taken.