Can this truss structure be statically indeterminate?

In summary, determining the statical determinacy of a truss structure requires more than just the equation 2j = m + r. It also depends on the arrangement of its members and the number of members connected to each joint. Statically determinate structures are able to resist external loads without any deformation or failure, while stability refers to the ability of a structure to remain in equilibrium even when external loads are applied to it.
chrismbo
I have designed this truss but I'm reading on the internet that this equation, 2j = m + r IS NOT enough to determine whether a structure is statically determinate. It has to do with the arrangement of the members as well?

How can I tell beyond the equation I guess is my question?

Also, what's the difference between statically determinate and stability?

Here is a snapshot of how I determined statical determinacy.

Thanks

Attachments

• my truss.PNG
    my truss.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
for the question. The equation you mentioned (2j = m + r) is one of the conditions that needs to be met for a structure to be statically determinate. However, it is not the only condition that needs to be met. For a truss structure to be statically determinate, all of its members must be connected in such a way that the forces acting on them can be determined by solving a set of linear equations. This means that the members must be arranged so that they form a network of triangles and that each joint has three members connected to it. To determine whether your truss is statically determinate, you should take a look at the arrangement of its members. Are all of the members forming triangles? Is every joint connected to three members? If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then your truss is probably statically determinate. You can also perform a force analysis to double-check your results. The difference between statically determinate and stability is that statically determinate structures are able to resist external loads without any deformation or failure, while stability refers to the ability of a structure to remain in equilibrium even when external loads are applied to it. A structure can be statically determinate but not stable, or vice versa.

1. What does it mean for a truss structure to be statically indeterminate?

A statically indeterminate truss structure is one that cannot be fully analyzed using basic equations of statics. This means that there are more unknown forces or reactions in the structure than there are equations available to solve for them. In other words, the structure has redundant members or supports that make it impossible to solve using traditional methods.

2. How can I determine if a truss structure is statically indeterminate?

One way to determine if a truss structure is statically indeterminate is to count the number of unknown forces or reactions and compare it to the number of equations available. If there are more unknowns than equations, the structure is statically indeterminate. Another way is to analyze the structure using truss analysis software or methods such as the method of joints or method of sections. If the results do not satisfy all the equilibrium equations, the structure is statically indeterminate.

3. What are the implications of a truss structure being statically indeterminate?

A statically indeterminate truss structure can experience internal forces and deformations that cannot be predicted using traditional statics methods. This can lead to unexpected failure or instability in the structure. In some cases, additional supports or modifications may be needed to ensure the stability of the structure.

4. Can a statically indeterminate truss structure be analyzed using traditional statics methods?

No, a statically indeterminate truss structure cannot be fully analyzed using traditional statics methods. However, there are more advanced analysis techniques such as the method of consistent deformations and the slope-deflection method that can be used to analyze these types of structures.

5. How can I design a truss structure to avoid being statically indeterminate?

To avoid designing a statically indeterminate truss structure, it is important to carefully consider the number and placement of supports as well as the number and arrangement of members. By limiting the number of supports and members, it is possible to create a statically determinate structure that can be easily analyzed using traditional statics methods.