Is Time Reversal Possible? New Research Challenges Long-Held Assumptions

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Associate Professor Joan Vaccaro challenges the long-held presumption that time evolution -- the incessant unfolding of the universe over time -- is an elemental part of Nature. She suggests there may be a deeper origin due to a difference between the two directions of time: to the future and to the past. This is all very confusing, can time move backwards?
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160128122011.htmhttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160128122011.htmhttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160128122011.htmhttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160128122011.htm

Also http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/01/the-quantum-asymmetry-between-time-and-space-there-may-be-a-deeper-origin-of-time.htmlhttp://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2016/01/the-quantum-asymmetry-between-time-and-space-there-may-be-a-deeper-origin-of-time.html

this from science daily.

In a paper published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Associate Professor Joan Vaccaro challenges the long-held presumption that time evolution -- the incessant unfolding of the universe over time -- is an elemental part of Nature

In the paper, entitled "Quantum asymmetry between time and space," she suggests there may be a deeper origin due to a difference between the two directions of time: to the future and to the past.

This is all very confusing can time move backwards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Nature.

In the paper, entitled "Quantum asymmetry between time and space," she suggests there may be a deeper origin due to a difference between the two directions of time: to the future and to the past.

"If you want to know where the universe came from and where it's going, you need to know about time," says Associate Professor Vaccaro.

"Experiments on subatomic particles over the past 50 years ago show that Nature doesn't treat both directions of time equally.

"In particular, subatomic particles called K and B mesons behave slightly differently depending on the direction of time.

"When this subtle behaviour is included in a model of the universe, what we see is the universe changing from being fixed at one moment in time to continuously evolving.

"In other words, the subtle behaviour appears to be responsible for making the universe move forwards in time.

"Understanding how time evolution comes about in this way opens up a whole new view on the fundamental nature of time itself.

"It may even help us to better understand bizarre ideas such as traveling back in time."

According to the paper, an asymmetry exists between time and space in the sense that physical systems inevitably evolve over time whereas there is no corresponding ubiquitous translation over space.

This asymmetry, long presumed to be elemental, is represented by equations of motion and conservation laws that operate differently over time and space.

However, Associate Professor Vaccaro used a "sum-over-paths formalism" to demonstrate the possibility of a time and space symmetry, meaning the conventional view of time evolution would need to be revisited.

"In the connection between time and space, space is easier to understand because it's simply there. But time is forever forcing us towards the future," says Associate Professor Vaccaro.

"Yet while we are indeed moving forward in time, there is also always some movement backwards, a kind of jiggling effect, and it is this movement I want to measure using these K and B mesons."

Associate Professor Vaccaro says the research provides a solution to the origin of dynamics, an issue that has long perplexed science.

As far as I can tell, the entire framework of this paper is non-relativistic. It's an interesting topic, but non-relativistic QM is known not to be a correct fundamental theory, so I'm not sure how applicable the paper's analysis is. A similar analysis done in the context of quantum field theory would be interesting.

Likes 1oldman2
Hey I just wanted to thank the OP because from reading the abstract and skimming the paper somewhat it appears to take a look at sort-of obvious questions about time that I've seen discussed for years. Is be interested to see from a professional's prospective if any new mathematical tools or method of analysis and understanding come out of this one.

Maybe I'll check back in a few years heh :-p. I know these things take time.

1. Can time actually move backwards?

At this point in time, there is no scientific evidence or theory that suggests time can move backwards. The concept of time moving backwards is often explored in science fiction, but it is not supported by any empirical evidence.

2. Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is not possible according to our current understanding of physics. The laws of physics, specifically the second law of thermodynamics, state that the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that it is impossible to reverse the flow of time and go back to a previous state.

3. What about the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, does allow for time dilation, or the slowing down of time. However, this only applies to objects traveling at very high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. It does not allow for time to actually move backwards.

4. Are there any exceptions to the laws of physics?

Currently, there are no known exceptions to the laws of physics that would allow for time to move backwards. While there are still mysteries and questions to be answered in the field of physics, there is no evidence to suggest that the laws of physics can be violated in this way.

5. What about the concept of causality?

Causality is the principle that an event can only be caused by a previous event. If time were to move backwards, causality would be violated and the entire fabric of the universe would be disrupted. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that time could ever move backwards in any way.