Define Charge: Mass & Electrons

• Thread starter salman_upright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, charge is a property that particles have. The Standard Model of quantum mechanics currently has no definition of what a charge is- just what it does. So the most correct answer is, we don't really know what a charge is. It's just a property that certain kinds of particles have. Forces can act on particles, based on exactly what charge it is, and what value it has.
salman_upright
Can u define charge??

We all know that how the bodies acquire charge that is by gaining and losing of negative charges(electrons). How can we define the charge alone?.Further can we say that there are two fundamental properties of matter which are mass and charge? Thanks for kind response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge is a property. It is not a thing. If you try to ask "what is a charge alone?" you encounter the semantic (wording) paradox "a charged what?"

It looks like you want a philosophical answer, but just in case charge is defined in the metric system as:

"one coulomb is the charge that must pass through each of two long wires per second such that the force between the wires is 4 * 10^-7 N when the wires are 1 meter apart."

In vacuum...

To the OP:mass (rest mass) and ELECTRIC charge are indeed two fundamental properties of nature (particles in the Standard Model of Particles and Interactions).

Daniel.

I could do with some help here as well...

Crosson said:
... charge is defined in the metric system as:

"one coulomb is the charge that must pass through each of two long wires per second such that the force between the wires is 4 * 10^-7 N when the wires are 1 meter apart."

it's [tex] 2 \times 10^{-7} [/tex] N.

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/current.html

and a consequence of that definition is that [tex] \mu_0 = 4 \pi 10^{-7} [/tex] in metric units. (what is it? Henrys per meter?)

Last edited:
A charge is a property of what though? At the Molecular level things are charged based on how many electrons they have or don't have. Mass is a property of matter yet the question of what mass actually is beginning to be solved as seen here. http://www.calphysics.org/articles/newscientist.html

Well, for starters, you ought to read the post I made yesterday on the definition of a force. That will help understand what the effect of charges is, and you'll find out that there is more than just electric charge and mass; there are also particles that have something called weak charge, and other particles that have something called color charge.

Basically, a charge is a property that particles have. The Standard Model of quantum mechanics currently has no definition of what a charge is- just what it does. So the most correct answer is, we don't really know what a charge is. It's just a property that certain kinds of particles have. Forces can act on particles, based on exactly what charge it is, and what value it has. That's about the best you're going to get, unless someone wants to start talking about string theory and how some physicists think there's these extra dimensions that represent degrees of freedom that are the charge, one way and another. But that's a really long conversation; you'd want to go read Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe for all of that stuff.

So why do we think 'fractional charges' are so strange if it's just a 'property'?
And split it into quasi particles and 'real particles'?

:)

yoron said:
So why do we think 'fractional charges' are so strange if it's just a 'property'?

If you were playing cards and got dealt a blue ace, would you think that is strange?

And split it into quasi particles and 'real particles'?
Huh?

Well from the little I've read about it it's used in condensed matter physics?
And there they name it 'quasiparticles' if I got it right?

As they seem to define those particles somewhat differently.
==

And it's no game of cards as far as I know?
It may be a game though.

But as far as I know we do not know the rules, so, when we learn new ones I wonder why we split it into two instead of trying to incorporate it into one concept?

Last edited:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasiparticle" , especially the introduction. What does that have to do with fractional charges being strange?

Last edited by a moderator:

JDługosz said:
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasiparticle" , especially the introduction. What does that have to do with fractional charges being strange?

That one was what made me wonder in fact :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fractional charges are not strange if you consider them a property. 'Properties' are allowed all kind of 'stuff' :) Electrons 'spin' FTL if seen 'classically', photons are mass less and intrinsically time less etc. So what I was wondering was why we considered it necessary to treat it two ways. As quasi particles and as 'real' particles, whatever that last idea then may be?

It's like looking at a car in the darkness and then define the wheels as the 'whole thing' just to find that there are more to it later. and instead of adding to the idea of a 'car' I now start to split it into 'car meeting ground' aka wheels etc. :)

At least from where I stand?
But it might be that there is a perfectly simple explanation that I don't know of?
Does that make my question more understandable?

Yoron, you are aware this post was dead for five years?

Does that make the subject wrong?
I had a question?

If you feel that way, lock the thread.
I could argue that good threads may well be immortal :)

1. What is charge?

Charge refers to a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force in an electric field. It can be either positive or negative.

2. What is the relationship between charge and mass?

The relationship between charge and mass is described by the equation q=me, where q is the charge, m is the mass, and e is the elementary charge. This means that the charge of an object is directly proportional to its mass.

3. How do electrons relate to charge and mass?

Electrons are subatomic particles that carry a negative charge. They are the primary carriers of charge in most materials and their mass is a factor in determining the overall charge of an atom or molecule.

4. Can charge be created or destroyed?

No, charge is a conserved quantity, meaning that it cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another.

5. How is charge quantified?

Charge is quantified in units of coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons. It can also be measured in terms of the elementary charge, which is equal to 1.6 x 10^-19 C.