1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can u help here

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    i m in a real problem and hav to give answers to the following problem tomorrow..please anyone help me..
    Q: show that in ground state of linear harmonic oscillator ,the probability of finding oscillator outside the classical limit is nearly 17%?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You must show some of your own work in order for us to help you. What is the definition of the classical limit? What is the definition of the ground state?

4. May 24, 2007 #3
    well classical limit can be understood at the site http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hosc6.html#c2

5. May 24, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes we know, but we want to know what you know, and what you have done so far.

the thing is to calculate how much of the QM oscillators wave function overlaps the classical one.

6. Jun 10, 2007 #5
    i m in quite a dilemma,,, icant make u understand

7. Jun 10, 2007 #6
    what we want to see is WHAT YOU have DONE to Solve your problem ? Have you made any attempts at it ? Could you say how to start, atleast make a guess ?

8. Jun 10, 2007 #7
    no one will give u a complete solution by looking at the links u give and the question.
    if u dont write what u have done so far using what formulae u will never get help.

this is the whole point

9. Jun 13, 2007 #8
    i hav not tried anything out

10. Jun 13, 2007 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just have to calculate of much of the wave function is out of the classical boundrais and square the result.

Have you not tried anything???!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?