Can u help me with this questionIf n ≥ 6 is a composite

• Thread starter margot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composite
In summary, if n ≥ 6 and is a composite integer, then n divides (n-1)! due to its prime factors being less than n. However, if n is a prime number, then n does not divide (n-1)!. This can be seen through the prime factorization of (n-1)! and comparing it to the prime factorization of n. Wilson's theorem also supports this conclusion.
margot
can u help me with this question

If n ≥ 6 is a composite integer, then n |(n − 1)! If n is a prime number, then n does not divide (n−1)!

Physics news on Phys.org

Two cases:

1. n not a square, then n=km, where k different from m, k<n, and m<n. Then both are separate factors of (n-1)! so that n divides (n-1)!

2. n a square of a prime p (if n is a square of non-prime case 1 could be used), then let k=p and m=2p, both < n, since p > 2. Then we have 2n divides (n-1)! so that n divides (n-1)!
This also illiustrates why 4 has to be excluded.

For your second part, if n is prime, then n cannot divide any number less than itself. In other words, it is not in the prime factorization of those numbers. So a product of those numbers will still not contain that prime number, and thus n will never divide (n-1)!

For your first part, again, look at the prime factorization. n is composite, so it's prime factors will be less than n. What happens when you do the product (n-1)!?
Let's investigate why n ≥ 6 and composite ..
The first composite number is 4, this is 2^2 (prime factorization). (4-1)! = 3*2 ... clearly 2^2 can't divide 3*2, because there's not enough powers of 2.
The next composite number is 6 = 2*3. (6-1)! = 5*4*3*2 ... can you see that 6|5!? (The 3*2 parts cancel and you're left with 5*4=20).

Let's do another example ... say n = 216 = 2^3*3^3. (216-1)! = 215*214*213*...*27*...*8*...*4*3*2. You will notice that 27=3^3 and 8=2^3 ... so for that last bit we have 215! = 215*...*3^3*...*2^3*...*4*3*2. So 216|215!

Do you see what's going on?

thanks so much ... now i get it :)

Bingk said:
For your second part, if n is prime, then n cannot divide any number less than itself. In other words, it is not in the prime factorization of those numbers. So a product of those numbers will still not contain that prime number, and thus n will never divide (n-1)!

For your first part, again, look at the prime factorization. n is composite, so it's prime factors will be less than n. What happens when you do the product (n-1)!?
Let's investigate why n ≥ 6 and composite ..
The first composite number is 4, this is 2^2 (prime factorization). (4-1)! = 3*2 ... clearly 2^2 can't divide 3*2, because there's not enough powers of 2.
The next composite number is 6 = 2*3. (6-1)! = 5*4*3*2 ... can you see that 6|5!? (The 3*2 parts cancel and you're left with 5*4=20).

Let's do another example ... say n = 216 = 2^3*3^3. (216-1)! = 215*214*213*...*27*...*8*...*4*3*2. You will notice that 27=3^3 and 8=2^3 ... so for that last bit we have 215! = 215*...*3^3*...*2^3*...*4*3*2. So 216|215!

Do you see what's going on?
That will work when the composite number is a*b where a<b but doesn't address the second case where a = b as covered by mathman.

Yeah, I admit that I oversimplified my example, just to help see what's going on ...

For the case when n=p^2, this is what happens, 1<p<p^2 and 1<qp<p^2, where q is prime and q<p. so p and qp are still factors in (n-1)! so if we regroup it, (n-1)! = (n-1)*(n-2)*...*qp^2*...4*3*2 and we can see that p^2 is a factor in (n-1)!, so n|(n-1)!. It's just a matter of looking at the prime factorization of (n-1)! and comparing it to the prime factorization of n.

We can also generalize, for n=p^a, a>2, we have that p^(a-1) and p is a factor in (n-1)! so we p^(a-1)*p = p^a is a factor in (n-1)! so n|(n-1)!

1. What does it mean for n to be composite?

When a number is composite, it means that it has more than two factors. In other words, it is not a prime number.

2. How can I determine if n is composite?

The easiest way to determine if n is composite is to check if it has any factors other than 1 and itself. If there are any other factors, then n is composite.

3. Can n be both composite and prime?

No, a number cannot be both composite and prime. It can only be one or the other. If a number has more than two factors, it is composite. If a number has only two factors (1 and itself), it is prime.

4. What is the smallest composite number?

The smallest composite number is 4. This is because it has factors of 1, 2, and 4.

5. What is the difference between a prime number and a composite number?

A prime number has only two factors (1 and itself), while a composite number has more than two factors. Additionally, prime numbers can only be divided evenly by 1 and itself, while composite numbers have multiple factors that can divide it evenly.