Can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?

  • Thread starter Radiatedtheory18
  • Start date

Radiatedtheory18

can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
238
0
Re: Routers

Originally posted by Radiatedtheory18
can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?
Yes, a router is a hub with more ports and the ability to store tables, among other things.
 

russ_watters

Mentor
18,848
5,037
Re: Re: Routers

Originally posted by kyle_soule
Yes, a router is a hub with more ports and the ability to store tables, among other things.
Well actually, a router usually has a SWITCH attached to it, but in any case, the answer is still yes.
 
238
0
Re: Re: Re: Routers

Originally posted by russ_watters
Well actually, a router usually has a SWITCH attached to it, but in any case, the answer is still yes.
A home router would not have a switch, and routers do not connect into switches, switches connect to routers, in large groups usually.

So for a home router to have a switch would be crazy.
 

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,185
55
I have a SMC Barricade, this is a home router/switch. The Router controles the access to my cable modem, I have 4 systems pluged into the switch/hub. My understanding is that the switch is smarter then a hub and able to provide FULL bandwithth to each computer, the router provids NAT service to the web so my 4 systems can all be online at the same time while Attbi/comcast sees only 1 IP address. The Switch serves to connect my 4 systems for file and printer sharing as well as LAN gaming. Due to my single WEB address we cannot have more then 1 machine on battlenet at a time. Though I bet that if we logged on to different servers and played seperate games it would work fine.
 

russ_watters

Mentor
18,848
5,037
Re: Re: Re: Re: Routers

Originally posted by kyle_soule
A home router would not have a switch, and routers do not connect into switches, switches connect to routers, in large groups usually.

So for a home router to have a switch would be crazy.
My router says right on the box "cable/dsl router with 4 port switch." A router is essentially just device that connects one network to another. It only has one input and one output.
My understanding is that the switch is smarter then a hub and able to provide FULL bandwithth to each computer.
Its pretty simple, Integral: a switch sends information to the destination its meant for. A hub sends all information from all sources to all destinations. Thats where the bandwidth issue comes in.
 
Last edited:
238
0
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Routers

Originally posted by russ_watters
My router says right on the box "cable/dsl router with 4 port switch." A router is essentially just device that connects one network to another. It only has one input and one output.
I was talking about real routers (eg) Cisco routers. Not Linksys and such. The routers I'm talking about have 2 ethernet and 2 serial and 1 console port and 1 aux. port.
 
916
0
Recently I have contracted an ADSL line, and, well, after waiting a couple of weeks the server sent to me a router zyxel prestige 600 series, and I achieved to connect to Internet. Now I have another PC and I would like to connect it to the ADSL line too. The problem is that the router only has a port, then I called to the server and they told me that if I'd like to connect 2 PCs to the router I should buy a device called hub, I did, it's a Allied Telesyn International AT-MR415T with 4 ports, but i don't understand the instructions, I called to the server looking for help and they said me that they only give help to connect a PC to the router

What I have to do to connect the 2 PCs to the router? Please help!!!
 

BoulderHead

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Routers

Originally posted by russ_watters
My router says right on the box "cable/dsl router with 4 port switch." A router is essentially just device that connects one network to another. It only has one input and one output. Its pretty simple, Integral: a switch sends information to the destination its meant for. A hub sends all information from all sources to all destinations. Thats where the bandwidth issue comes in.
I've wondered about this too. If several computers are networked together through a switch, well, here's perhaps what I mean;

computers; A, B, C, D

Let's say the swith connects to the internet and A and B are splitting the bandwith of that connection. Is it possible for C and D to be exchanging files at full network bandwidth speeds without data-stream collisions taking place with A or B?

I believe the answer is yes, that the switch can isolated communications between C and D while splitting the internet bandwidth between A and B.

I have seen the prices of switches fall and fall. I'm thinking that Hubs may become increasingly more difficult to find in stores because few people want them. In the senario above, if using a Hub, I believe all four of those computers would have to take turns 'talking', be it Time Division Multiplexing or some other scheme. That would make for much slower over speeds for that kind of network.
 

russ_watters

Mentor
18,848
5,037
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Routers

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I've wondered about this too. If several computers are networked together through a switch, well, here's perhaps what I mean;

computers; A, B, C, D

Let's say the swith connects to the internet and A and B are splitting the bandwith of that connection. Is it possible for C and D to be exchanging files at full network bandwidth speeds without data-stream collisions taking place with A or B?

I believe the answer is yes, that the switch can isolated communications between C and D while splitting the internet bandwidth between A and B.

I have seen the prices of switches fall and fall. I'm thinking that Hubs may become increasingly more difficult to find in stores because few people want them. In the senario above, if using a Hub, I believe all four of those computers would have to take turns 'talking', be it Time Division Multiplexing or some other scheme. That would make for much slower over speeds for that kind of network.
Since a switch only sends data to its intended destination (instead of all possible destinations) you do indeed get full capacity out of the switch. Now there is overhead and things like that, so the maximum capacity is never its theoretical 100mbps, but you get as close as is possible. And computers not transfering info to/from each other are not affected by what other computers on the network are doing.

And just to clarify the connections, it looks like this:

internet->router->switch->pcs(or other hubs or switches)

For example, I set up a network for my company (a tiny engineering company). We have a cable modem connected to a router. The router has an internal four port switch which is connected to two computers, a print server, and a hub. The hub is connected to 3 computers and another print server.
 

Related Threads for: Can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?

Replies
3
Views
12K
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
6
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
12
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
2K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top