Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can u wash sneakers in a washing machine?

1. May 27, 2004 #1
    Can u wash sneakers in a washing machine??

I have no clue how to wash shoes. Staying by myself is sooo damn hard... :mad: Is it ok if i just dump them in a washing machine.. some people say i should but others say its a really dumb idea.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2004 #2
    NO!

You'll damage them! Go to Click's or something and buy those shoe cleaning material thingies. Also, sneakers (takkies!) come with a care guide (if you buy some proper ones.) Follow it and you shall be happy...! :wink:

I use a toothbrush to get the dirt of my takkies - put some wahing powder in a bowl with water, dip the toothbrush and rub of dirt. It works quite well and my shoes are clean. Though, it does take damn long.

4. May 27, 2004 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

Sneakers are supposed to be dirty.

Njorl

5. May 27, 2004 #4
    True. My new sneakers dont stay clean for longer than a period of a week, and they turn yellow and brown after my outdoor cross-country runs. I think its gotten to a point where it cant be scrubbed off, the stains are too deeply rooted.

6. May 27, 2004 #5
    yeah my takkies are those puma mostro mesh's and i dont really know how to get the dirt of the mesh part. I'll try the toothbrush thing and I that doesnt work U WILL PAY FOR MAKING ME MESS THEM UP!!! Ahemmm... no really, I'll try it out.

7. May 27, 2004 #6
    Don't dry them in a microwave oven.
    See book "Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll for more details.

8. May 27, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

The only thing holding one of my pair of trainers together is the dirt.

9. May 27, 2004 #8
    I use a scrub brush and a paste I make with Tide detergent, rinse to remove soap and air dry outside.

10. May 28, 2004 #9
    Buy shoe cleansers. Don't put your sneakers in you washing machine!! (Life skills). lol

11. May 26, 2005 #10
    were you able to clean the oum sing on the side of you shoes. mine is white and if i use a damp cloth it turns cream or darker like grey. any advice?

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  12. May 26, 2005 #11
    I've put mine in the washing machine several times - it works a treat.

Go for it mooberrymarz!

13. May 26, 2005 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Are you guys talking about leather shoes?

I have two pairs of running shoes, both over 8 years old and I have washed them many times.

14. May 26, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

rofl, this thread was almost exactly a year old. You can clean shoes in hte washing machine as long as they dont have any leather or else it'll ruin them.

15. May 26, 2005 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Holy crap. It is a year old.

16. May 26, 2005 #15
    I was mine in the machine, and then air dry them. Even the ones with leather trim seem to come out ok.

17. May 26, 2005 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it is good to include some old towels in the wash, so that they are cushioned somewhat while tumbling. I don't even own sneakers, but I guess that would work.

18. May 26, 2005 #17
    wow, Ive never known anyone who didn't own sneakers. They are the most comfortable shoes in the world!

19. May 26, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

Just hose your sneakers off and wait for them to dry(that's what I do)

20. May 26, 2005 #19

Mk

Yeah, they whites parts turn much whiter and especially the shoelaces get cleaner. I've put mine in many times.

21. May 26, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, I never find them very comfortable. I have regular shoes that are much more comfortable and don't make my feet sweat like sneakers do. But, I do wear the sneakers for lawn mowing. When I was a kid, mom always tossed our sneakers in the washer and dryer (and they always made loud clunking in the dryer no matter what they were in there with).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?