Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can virtual produce anti-gravity?

1. Jun 25, 2005 #1
    Perhaps it is a stupid question, but really confuses me.
    In QFT, virtual particles can be produced from vacuum, say, (M,0,0,0) and (-M,0,0,0)
    In Einstein's theory, if we consider the (-M,0,0,0) virtual particle, make it's energy-momentum tensor and solve the Einstein equation, and take the limit of weak field, we find the potential it produces for other real particles is positive, so it gives a exculsive force.
    Is it right? if so, can the negative-energy particle fall into the blackhole? because if the negative energy particle has anti-gravity, it can never go into a place that have infinity high potential energy.

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

When a particle-antiparticle pair is created from vacuum both have positive energies. However, there is a heuristic way to explanation Hawking radiatio invoking negative energies viewed by observers at infinity (I remember I read something in Schutz). Anyway, consider a particle of negative energy at the event horizon. The force between the black hole and this particle would be repulsive. However, since the particle has a negative (inertial) mass, it would accelerate in the contrary direction to the force and it would fall into the black hole.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?