Can virtual produce anti-gravity?

• Thread starter wangyi
  • Start date
Perhaps it is a stupid question, but really confuses me.
In QFT, virtual particles can be produced from vacuum, say, (M,0,0,0) and (-M,0,0,0)
In Einstein's theory, if we consider the (-M,0,0,0) virtual particle, make it's energy-momentum tensor and solve the Einstein equation, and take the limit of weak field, we find the potential it produces for other real particles is positive, so it gives a exculsive force.
Is it right? if so, can the negative-energy particle fall into the blackhole? because if the negative energy particle has anti-gravity, it can never go into a place that have infinity high potential energy.

Thank you!

hellfire

Science Advisor
When a particle-antiparticle pair is created from vacuum both have positive energies. However, there is a heuristic way to explanation Hawking radiatio invoking negative energies viewed by observers at infinity (I remember I read something in Schutz). Anyway, consider a particle of negative energy at the event horizon. The force between the black hole and this particle would be repulsive. However, since the particle has a negative (inertial) mass, it would accelerate in the contrary direction to the force and it would fall into the black hole.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads