Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we bend space time?

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    I've looked (googled) but can't find any info on this experiment other than the apparent AP news release that is duplicated on several websites. If this is a real experiment in a lab somewhere, anyone know where to find info on it? I realise this story is just barely accurate fodder for the masses but is there a real experiment where a still gyroscope is levitated by spinning rings under it? seems improbable to me.

this post may belong in a different forum. Sorry if that's the case. Move it if necessary.

from
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519130,00.html

Already, some studies have claimed to find possible signatures of moving space-time.

For example, scientists rotated super-cold rings in a lab. They found that still gyroscopes placed above the rings seem to think they themselves are rotating simply because of the presence of the spinning rings beneath.

The researchers postulated that the ultra-cold rings were somehow dragging space-time, and the gyroscope was detecting the effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

4. May 8, 2009 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gravity is one process. I'm not aware of any other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook