1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we convert energy to mass?

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    Can we convert energy to mass??

hi guys...,
    i'm new to this site. so please just spare me if i've done something wrong..coming to the topic we all know that mass can be converted to energy..but can we convert energy to mass according to the equation e=m*(c^2)..??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    Re: Can we convert energy to mass??

I'm not a particle physicist, but I imagine the man-made synthesis of transuranic elements via particle accelerators is technically turning energy into mass.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

Scientists are creating new elements all the time. These new elements have more mass per nucleon than the "older" ones (like element nr. 133 has more mass per nucleon than nr. 132). Argh, please somebody who knows English properly explain this?

Anyway, this means that scientists are turning energy into mass.

EDIT: Heck, wouldn't making chemical reactions where the enthalpy change is positive mean the same thing? I.e. for example 2H2 and O2 have more mass than 2H2O? I seem to recall the reason, at least partially, that energy is released when H2 and O2 react being mass is liberated into energy?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes! When we collide two electrons together at very high energies the resulting mass of created particles are far beyond the original rest masses of the two electrons! The same thing happens for other particles too.

Edit:As Dalespam points out below, it is more correct to say that MATTER can be converted to energy and vice versa, as energy always has mass.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. Jun 24, 2011 #5

Dale

We don't convert energy to mass, energy already has mass without any conversion needed. However, we can convert energy to matter which is probably what you were really asking.

7. Jun 24, 2011 #6

Your English, and your explanation, are fine.

Indeed. H2 and O2 have a tiny bit more mass than they do when combined. The energy release is about 285 kJ/mol, or about 3 ng/mol.

8. Jun 24, 2011 #7

Drakkith

Exactly. E=MC^2 is NOT saying that mass can be converted to energy and vice versa, it is saying that all energy has an accompanying amount of mass. When you add or remove energy from a system you also add or remove mass as well.

9. Jun 26, 2011 #8

you meant to say that when i push an object there is an energy imparted to it..and this energy alters its mass...as energy has an accompanying amount of mass

10. Jun 26, 2011 #9

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned "pair production" yet.Try googling.

11. Jun 26, 2011 #10

no, energy is not transformed into mass in your scenario. You get energy to push the object from chemical reactions inside your muscles. After a while due to friction the object which you had pushed will have transformed all its kinetic energy into heat

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  12. Jun 26, 2011 #11

Dale

Yes, exactly.

And heat has mass. Energy has mass, it does not need to be "transformed into" mass.

13. Jun 26, 2011 #12

Earlier today I was wondering if it were possible to generate protons from electrons, positrons, neutrinos and/or anti-neutrinos using a particle accelerator.

14. Jun 27, 2011 #13

Drakkith

I believe this is all possible and regularly occurs at most modern accelerators/colliders. It isn't controlled, as we cannot simply say "I want 3 protons and that's it from this collision". An assortment of different particles are created.

15. Jun 27, 2011 #14

dalsespam, I learned from my teacher that energy and mass are two sides of the same coin, so to speak. I'm not sure what you mean? Energy and mass regularly change forms, don't they?

16. Jun 27, 2011 #15

Dale

Energy certainly regularly changes to other forms of energy (e.g. kinetic energy to electrical energy). I don't know of any "forms" of mass.

Energy is the capacity of a system to do work. Mass is a measure of the amount of inertia of a system. They are both properties of systems, they are not things in and of themselves. A system can have more than one property, for example it can be blue and hot. Similarly, a system can have both inertia (mass) and the capacity to do work (energy). E=mc² is not about "changing" energy into mass. It is about the fact that a system with energy has a certain amount of inertia, and a system with mass can do a certain amount of work.

17. Jun 27, 2011 #16

I meant that energy can change form into mass and vice versa.

Well, to be hyper-formal: energy/mass can change its appearance

:P

18. Jun 27, 2011 #17

Dale

I think I have said this 3 times now in this one thread. Energy does not change form into mass, it already has mass to begin with even without changing form.

Mass is not a form of energy.

You can, however, produce matter given sufficient energy in a particle collider. In such a case you would get a transformation of energy from e.g. kinetic energy to rest energy. But the mass would be unchanged.

19. Jun 27, 2011 #18

Drakkith

This is a very widespread misconception. Mass and Energy NEVER change into one another. It isn't possible. As Dalespam said, Mass and Energy aren't "things" in themselves. Energy is the capacity to do work. It describes the interactions between objects. Adding energy into a system increases its mass. In a chemical or nuclear reaction the released energy has mass and removes that mass from the reaction products in the form of heat and light.

20. Jun 28, 2011 #19

What kind of mass would we say a photon has. Aren't there like 3 different types of masses.

21. Jun 28, 2011 #20

Drakkith

Photons don't have rest mass, they have momentum. According to GR the effect is identical concerning the effects of gravity, as photons are affected by gravity and also generate their own gravitational field. When the photon is absorbed the momentum is transferred to the object, which increases its mass. In effect the mass has been transferred from the object emitting the photon to the object absorbing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook