Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Can we cool off on the warnings?

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    Posting something to the wrong sub-forum can be an easy mistake that doesn't warrant a "warning". My thread "How does science maintain cohesion?", I think, makes a good discussion. I was told it should go in the "General Discussion" sub-forum and not "General Physics". The reason I didn't put it there in the first place was because the General Discussion sub-forum specifically says, "Topics outside the realm of science and tech". My thread contains a topic WITHIN the realm of science, not outside of it. Therefore, it clearly doesn't belong in General Discussion. I would've put it in "General Science" if that sub-forum existed, but it doesn't, so I made my best choice. You seriously give people warnings, thus bringing them closer to being kicked off the forums, for making their best judgement call? I think there are better, less threatening ways to approach this. I know we're "scientists" and all, but can we also try to maintain some humanity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You received a "General Information" warning which is basically a heads up from the mentor to let you know that your thread was being moved and why. There are no points, so there is nothing "bringing you closer to being kicked off".

Think of it as a courtesy. :smile:

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    That's good to know Evo, and thanks for the clarification. I know people DO get kicked out of the forums, so it's a reasonable concern. Still, my suggestion stands on maybe changing the approach. Instead of the scary, "You have received a warning", maybe the policy could be changed to "This is a courtesy"? Small things like that can help keep us all feeling good about being here. :shy:

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, you are completely right. The "you have received a warning" is not a good message. However, the forum software doesn't allow you to actually change this message. So we're kind of stuck with the scary "warning" message.

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5

Evo

We agree, but as Micromass mentioned, we've been advised it's not something we can change.

7. Jul 23, 2012 #6
    [STRIKE]vbulletin doesn't have a module for it? I find that very surprising.[/STRIKE] Edit: it does have plugins for it.

Is this a restriction from the hosting provider?

8. Jul 23, 2012 #7
    Please provide a link and we'll consider it, thanks

9. Jul 23, 2012 #8
  10. Jul 23, 2012 #9

Evo

What we're discussing is a general information warning with a little softer message.

11. Jul 29, 2012 #10
    WARNING!!!
    In spite of the first line of this post, it is by no means a warning, just a courtesy message.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook