1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we define force if

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    Can we define force if ......

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can we define force if a body from high of ##h_1=4m## goes down to ##h_2=−3m##, for time ##t=4s##, and with velocity of ##v=10\frac{m}{s}##. The acceleration would be ##a=\frac{v}{t}=\frac{10\frac{m}{s}}{4s}=2.5 \frac{m}{s^2}.## Can we define the force using these things? If yes, let me know the formula, if no, let me know :)

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    none.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

Re: Can we define force if ......

F = ma, you need the mass as well as acceleration to find the force

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

I know ##F=ma##, but, I have the acceleration, but I don't want mass, I want to know if there's a way to find the Force with distance between two highs , with a velocity for a set time.

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This kinematic data doesn't seem consistent. Did you just make it up?
    No.

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5

Yeah, I made it my self, And I see you can't because ##m ,m , s, \frac{m}{s}## wouldn't be able to make ##N## (Newton) or ##kg\frac{m}{s^2}## which is ##kg\frac{m}{s^2}=N##

7. Feb 14, 2012 #6

Way too many errors in it.
    Firstly you say that object goes from
    h1=4m goes down to h2=−3m ?

How can you say that distance will be -3m ???? Distance is scalar !
    Secondly , yes we can define displacement to be negative with reference to direction but here body is falling uni-directionally. You have to say that body is falling from distance of 4m to 3m.

Again another error : If body is falling downwards then acceleration will be 9.8 or 10m/s2 i.e constant value. This further implies that the velocity of body will keep on increasing by 9.8 or 10m/s , every second. You just can't say that velocity of body will be uniform here in this case.

Again acceleration is rate of change in velocity , not velocity by time.
    And lastly , out of curiosity : Are you assuming another planet where acceleration is 2.5m/s2 ?:biggrin:

You CANNOT define FORCE without using or taking MASS of object in ACCOUNT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook