Understanding the Elusive Nature of Mass: Can it Really be Destroyed?

• Thread starter Ravi4213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of whether humans can create or destroy matter. It is discussed that mass cannot be destroyed, but the concept of matter creation is more complex, depending on the definition of "mass." Further reading is suggested for a better understanding of the topic.
Ravi4213
I have one question that can we destroy the mass does anyone have answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have one question in my mind and that is can humans create the matter and if answer is yes than how?

Welcome to PF!

Is this a homework question? Have you done any reading on it?

No I had question in my mind so I have ask it and I haven't read about it and I am new on this site so I don't know the answer.

Ravi4213 said:
can humans create the matter

It depends on what you mean by "create" and what you mean by "matter."

Ravi4213 said:
I have one question that can we destroy the mass does anyone have answer?

Mass cannot be destroyed. Matter, on the other hand, is a different story.

Drakkith said:
Mass cannot be destroyed.

We had this conversation recently (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-a-massless-photon-create-mass.787079/). In the end it boils down to what you mean by "mass". If you mean the invariant mass (as in the square of the total 4-momentum) then it cannot be destroyed. If you mean the sum of the rest masses of all constituents of a system, then yes it can.

Orodruin said:
We had this conversation recently (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-a-massless-photon-create-mass.787079/). In the end it boils down to what you mean by "mass". If you mean the invariant mass (as in the square of the total 4-momentum) then it cannot be destroyed. If you mean the sum of the rest masses of all constituents of a system, then yes it can.

Mass shouldn't be allowed to be so complicated. :D

1. Can we destroy all matter?

No, according to the Law of Conservation of Mass, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into different states.

2. Can we destroy a specific mass?

It is possible to change the state or composition of a specific mass, but it cannot be completely destroyed.

3. What methods can be used to destroy mass?

Mass can be destroyed through physical or chemical reactions, such as burning, dissolving, or nuclear reactions.

4. Is it ethical to destroy mass?

The ethics of destroying mass depends on the context and purpose. In many cases, transforming or breaking down mass is necessary for survival and progress.

5. Are there any potential consequences of destroying mass?

Destroying mass can have consequences, such as releasing harmful pollutants into the environment or causing a chain reaction that could lead to further destruction. It is important to consider the potential consequences before attempting to destroy mass.