Can we do this with greater than sign

• Thread starter Ryoukomaru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not it is possible to solve a given equation by separating it into two separate equations using the "greater than" sign. The participants agree that this is possible, as long as both factors are either positive or negative. A hint is also given about considering the values inside the brackets.
Ryoukomaru
Can we do this with "greater than" sign

If [tex](2x-9)(x+3)\geq0[/tex] then can we say [tex](2x-9)\geq0[/tex] and [tex](x+3)\geq0[/tex] and solve them seperately ? I am not sure if i can do this because of the [tex]\geq[/tex] sign.

Hmm wrong section. Actually this is part of my homework anyway. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah you can do that because you are dividing both sides by the binomials and 0/ by anything equals 0.

The product will also be positive if both factors are negative.

If [tex](2x-9)(x+3)\geq0[/tex] then can we say [tex](2x-9)\geq0[/tex] and [tex](x+3)\geq0[/tex] and solve them seperately ? I am not sure if i can do this because of the sign.
this is part of the solution only...
Hints
could both values inside the bracket be negative?

Thx a lot all and thanks again for the hint.

1. Can we use the greater than sign in math equations?

Yes, the greater than sign (>), also known as the inequality symbol, is commonly used in math equations to represent values that are greater than another value.

2. Can we compare numbers using the greater than sign?

Yes, the greater than sign is used to compare numerical values in math equations. It indicates that the value on the left is larger than the value on the right.

3. Can we use the greater than sign in programming languages?

Yes, the greater than sign is a commonly used symbol in programming languages to perform operations such as comparison, assignment, and logical operations.

4. Can we use the greater than sign to indicate a direction?

Yes, the greater than sign is often used to indicate a direction, such as in maps or navigation systems. It can also be used to represent increasing values or progress in a certain direction.

5. Can we use the greater than sign in everyday language?

Yes, the greater than sign is often used in everyday language to express ideas such as superiority, advantage, or importance. For example, "My love for you is greater than the stars in the sky."