Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we glue text?

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would really be nice if I could glue text; e.g. if I could put some sort of tag around an expression like [X, Y](f) = (XY - YX)(f), to guarantee that the browser won't insert a line break in the middle of the expression. I suppose I could just make it into LaTeX, but I'm assuming the server is happier if I write it as text.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2007 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the pre-LaTeX days the only reliable way I could think of to do that was to start another line.

The Lie bracket of X and Y is:

[X,Y]=XY-YX

and so forth.

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One method that might work... Don't use spaces. [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f) [X,Y](f)=(XY-YX)(f)

(resize your browser window)

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That works for some formulae. Alas, there are a lot of symbols my broswer will break. e.g. with what you wrote, I see:

.... [X,Y](f)=(XY-
    YX)(f) ....

6. Apr 18, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, personally, if it's going to be that long, I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone put in a command to stop it from breaking. I dislike when posts get all stretched because someone does something that prevents the lines from breaking, especially if I'm trying read from my laptop with a small screen.

I think Tom's suggestion is best, just start a new line.

7. Apr 18, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I would have expected the line break would be placed before the expression, rather than after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?