Can we reach all the irrationals?

• Thread starter kenewbie
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks if we can "reach" all the irrationals. Given that we only have two numbers to work with (2 and 3) and the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, we cannot describe every irrational number. However, we can describe a subset of irrationals using these numbers and the arithmetic operators. This subset is countable and consists of two numbers, Sqrt(2) and Sqrt(3). If this post is just filled with drivel, then feel free to ignore it.
kenewbie
Can we "reach" all the irrationals?

Pardon my lack of terminology, I'll do my best to explain myself.

Imagine that the only integers we have are 1, 2 and 3.

We can only describe a very small subset of the irrational numbers using these, namely
Sqrt(2) and Sqrt(3).

Oh, and perhaps Sqrt(2) / Sqrt(3), ((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3)) / ((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3)), and so on. If this works then you can reach an infinite number of irrationals using just the numbers 2 and 3 and the arithmetic operators as a basis. How frickin' cool is that!

Sorry, I just discovered the above paragraph while typing the post. I'll get back to my original question now.

Now given the fact that the infinite number of irrationals are larger than the infinite number of integers, it would seem to be that we are forever destined to be unable to "reach" all the irrationals? By reaching them I mean describing them by some finite operation of integers under the arithmetic operators.

I was basically wondering if this is true or not, and if proofs or more information exists on this. Do we know how large the infinite of the irrationals are compared to the infinite of integers? (ie, the infinite number of odds should be half the size of the infinite number of integers?)

Are there infinities that we can define which are larger than the irrationals? Of the top of my head I would guess one could say something like the complex irrationals, but that goes against the spirit of what I am looking for. I guess I mean a series of numbers using just the basic numerical numbers and arithmetic operators.

If this post is just filled with drivel, then feel free to ignore it. I realize that I am out of my depth here but this is a seriously entertaining topic.

k

Physics news on Phys.org

it would seem to be that we are forever destined to be unable to "reach" all the irrationals? By reaching them I mean describing them by some finite operation of integers under the arithmetic operators.

Correct. Irrationals that satisfy a polynomial relation (essentially what you're describing) are called algebraic numbers. There are only countably many of these. Countable means 'is in one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers'. Sets which are countable are the natural number, the rational numbers, the algebraic integers, and the algebraic numbers, in fact each of these sets is a subset of the later ones in the list.

They constitute only a very small proportion of the real numbers. For instance neither pi nor e are algebraic (in the algebraic integers).

I was basically wondering if this is true or not, and if proofs or more information exists on this. Do we know how large the infinite of the irrationals are compared to the infinite of integers?

Yes and no. The real numbers have cardinality c (for continuum). Precisely what this is is the subject of the continuum hypothesis and the answer depends on the model of set theory that you use.

(ie, the infinite number of odds should be half the size of the infinite number of integers?)

For infinite sets size (or cardinality) is defined in terms of functions. There is a bijection between odd and even integers, thus they have the same cardinality. A bijection is a one-to-one correspondence (the maps x to x+1 and x to x-1 are bijections between odd and even integers).

Are there infinities that we can define which are larger than the irrationals?

Yes. Lots...

Of the top of my head I would guess one could say something like the complex irrationals, but that goes against the spirit of what I am looking for.

The real and complex numbers have the same cardinality

I guess I mean a series of numbers using just the basic numerical numbers and arithmetic operators.

By definition these are countable - assuming you mean a finite number of operations.

matt grime said:
Countable means 'is in one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers'.

This confused me a little. Given the integers 2 and 3 and the arithmetic operators, I can construct more than 2 irrationals. So I guess the term "one-to-one correspondence" means something other than what I intuitively assign to the phrase?

Thanks for the reply, you gave me heaps of keywords to use for finding reading material.

Is this generally part of set theory? Do you know of any books which have meaningful discussions on these topics at my level? (Pre-calc)

Thanks again,

k

A one-to-one correspondence between two sets A and B is a rule that assigns one and exactly one element of B to A and vice versa. This is how you define size for infinite sets. Any other method, such as saying 'the integers are larger than the odd numbers because the latter is a subset of the former' is unacceptable. Not least because it only provides a way of defining relative size of sets that are nested. It does not allow you to compare the odd and even integers for size, does it? So you need some way of defining size that is independent of what the sets in question are. I showed you a way to do this if A is the even integers, and B the odd integers:

n goes to n+1 from even to odd, and m goes to m-1 for odd to even.

It should also be clear that the integers are in one-to-one correspondence with the even numbers: n maps to 2n, integer to even, and m to m/2 from even to integer.

A one-to-one correspondence is what you think it is. It is just that I am not relating it at all to your method of construction of more numbers from algebraic operations on 2 and 3.

matt grime said:
I showed you a way to do this if A is the even integers, and B the odd integers:

n goes to n+1 from even to odd, and m goes to m-1 for odd to even.

It should also be clear that the integers are in one-to-one correspondence with the even numbers: n maps to 2n, integer to even, and m to m/2 from even to integer.

Ahh, of course. I had this mental image of an infinite line, yet I had a beginning and an end on it. If the line never stops, mapping n to 2n makes perfect sense, you never run out of numbers anyway to map towards anyway.

Thanks,

k

kenewbie said:
Pardon my lack of terminology, I'll do my best to explain myself.

Imagine that the only integers we have are 1, 2 and 3.

We can only describe a very small subset of the irrational numbers using these, namely
Sqrt(2) and Sqrt(3).

Oh, and perhaps Sqrt(2) / Sqrt(3), ((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3)) / ((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3)), and so on. If this works then you can reach an infinite number of irrationals using just the numbers 2 and 3 and the arithmetic operators as a basis. How frickin' cool is that!
((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3)) / ((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3))=1.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3)) / ((Sqrt(2) * Sqrt(3))=1.

Ugh yeah, the second multipliers are supposed to be addition.

k

1. What are irrationals?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places. Examples include pi (3.14159...) and the square root of 2 (1.41421...).

2. Can we reach all the irrationals?

No, it is impossible to reach all the irrationals because there are an infinite number of them and they cannot be counted or listed. It is similar to asking if we can reach all the points on a line - we can always find points in between to reach that have not been reached yet.

3. Why can't we reach all the irrationals?

We cannot reach all the irrationals because they are not discrete and cannot be counted or listed. They exist on a continuous spectrum and are infinitely dense, meaning there is no gap between them.

4. Is it possible to approximate irrationals?

Yes, it is possible to approximate irrationals. We can use rational numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, to approximate irrationals. The more digits we use, the closer the approximation will be.

5. Why do we use irrational numbers if we can't reach them?

Even though we cannot reach all the irrationals, they are still important in mathematics and have many real-world applications. For example, pi is used to calculate the circumference and area of a circle, and the golden ratio (1.61803...) is used in art and architecture. Irrational numbers also play a crucial role in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.