Can we seek out worlds closer to the center of the galaxy?

Well that's just classic to my astro-physiscs teacher!
Once a few weeks, when he is happy of it's day or had a kiss from a girlfriend (theory)
he just comes with that absurde smile on its face and asks us impossible questions that no one was yet to answer in exchange for a great reward that also no one was yet to receive...
Today's question was... how do you find out the theoretical number of black holes, stars and nebulae in a galaxy of 450000 Ly in diameter and 12000 Ly in thickness?(my question to this is: is that even possible or he is playing us a bad joke?
if someone could help would be very grateful!

I don't think nebulae form individual stars. I feel that they would not be massive enough to collapse. Generally the gas that collapses masses hundreds to thousands of times the mass of a single star and creates dozens of stars or more.
Ok. But how do those nebulae form according to that issue that i had?
and also... but if a wild SMBH left over from a violend galactic collision passes nearby, not to close to swallow the nebulae (and then fart it away (as it is gases)) but close enaugh to magnetically distort the clout and cause it to start collapsing, wouldn't that help?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok. But how do those nebulae form according to that issue that i had?
They begin as huge gas clouds that undergo gravitational collapse.

and also... but if a wild SMBH left over from a violend galactic collision passes nearby, not to close to swallow the nebulae (and then fart it away (as it is gases)) but close enaugh to magnetically distort the clout and cause it to start collapsing, wouldn't that help?
The magnetic field would have almost no effect. It would be the gravity of the black hole that would distort the gas cloud and cause it to lose its equilibrium and undergo collapse.