Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Can we solve unsolved problems in classical physics without using other branches?

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    We know that unsolved problems still exist in classical physics and scientists still make reasearches , can the scientists solve those problems without using other physics branches like quatum mechanics .. ? Can they solve these problems only with a full understanding of classical mechanics ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I suspect it depends on the problem. Do you have a specific problem you were referring to?

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    The problem is not with me it's with scientists they have many unsolved probkems in classical physics like turbulence

5. May 12, 2016 #4
    What do you think the issue is in "solving" the problem of turbulence?

6. May 12, 2016 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It depends on how you look at it. I think may aspects of turbulence can be studied with the classical equations of fluid mechanics, the Navier-Stokes equations. However, things like viscosity which are described in the equations depend on the interaction between the atoms of the fluid, which are inherently quantum mechanical. So if I study turbulence by running simulations of the Navier-Stokes equations, is this "purely classical"?

7. May 12, 2016 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

I once heard a talk by Moser (best known for the Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser theorem) on theorems about how many particles are necessary that classical particles separate to infinity in finite time. The proofs only involved classical mechanics, yet there were still many open questions.

8. May 12, 2016 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

As an engineer you won't believe it, but mathematicians are still struggling to show that the Navier-Stokes equations have solutions at all.

9. May 12, 2016 #8
    Search about the turbulence problem its unsolved till now

10. May 12, 2016 #9
    So we have unsolved problems that can be solved with only classical mechanics ? Do you know any ?

11. May 13, 2016 #10

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

12. May 13, 2016 #11

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know what you mean by *only* classical mechanics- presumably you mean something like "macroscopic, room-temperature, slow processes"? Just be aware that many of these problems also occur in microscopic, low-temperature, rapidly changing systems as well.

There's a bunch besides those already mentioned: wetting (contact line motion), the glass transition (dynamic heterogeneity), and nonequilibrium thermodynamics (for example, the dynamics of soft matter) complete my favorite 5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted