1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we trap light?

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    can we trap light???

hi every body
    i read about Optical fiber and how light is reflecting inside wire by the principle of Total internal reflection and I wonder, is it possible to trap light between mirrors and if yes,then is it going to be an energy losses ??
    :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    Re: can we trap light???

I dont think we can trap light because there cant be perfect angle so that light could come in and dont come out

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3

Between normal mirrors that we can produce with todays technology, there will always be losses, you can see this when you hold two mirrors opposite each other, in theory the reflections should go on for ever, but in practice they curve away due to imperfections in the mirror.

However, I don't think that there is anything (theoretically) stopping someone from trapping light in that way.

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4

Thank you for replying

but how the mirror will arrange to make it theoretically possible ?

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook