1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you answer this.

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    A linebacker has a mass of 110 kg, and he takes off when the ball is snapped and tackles the Q.B of a constant net force of 3.7 * 10^4 N. What is the net force that acts on the 92 kg Q.B.

I know the answer, I just want to see if you can do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you show us how you solved it?

4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    Ok. a= 3.7 * 10^4 N/ 110 kg= 336.3 m/s^2

F=92 kg * 336.3 m/s^2=30945.4 N

5. Sep 8, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Why are you calculating the acceleration of the linebacker? (I assume that's what you're doing.) Are you assuming that the 3.7 * 10^4 N force is the only force acting on the linebacker?

Your problem statement in your first post seems truncated--so it's unclear what the full problem is.

6. Sep 8, 2007 #5
    although it isn't possible for a person to generate that much force, it's just a calculation.

7. Sep 8, 2007 #6
    I changed up an original problem I had.

8. Sep 8, 2007 #7

Doc Al

Why don't you restate the problem as fully as possible. (If you want the net force on the QB, then the acceleration of the linebacker seems irrelevant.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?