Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you break it i bet u cant !

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    Can you break it !! i bet u cant !

LDTGDOTURELOESIDWWCBSUVCAFEEOHISKEIFWCLUSTMNISEEIOLIMAOSIECDVDMUGWNOLOEEBPCITTNIUWDELHCHAINLHIMELAT

This is a simple code that i made up for a friend who is confused about .....?? if you want to know u will have to break it !!

As i said it is quite simple and coz the person it is for wldn't be able to do it!!

i want to try and make up more complicated codes in the future coz i find it very interesting and since we had the enigma talk at skul i have made up a few codes for friends!!!

have a go at it !!

Ceasar 3 wat a good game and how can one complete it ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2
    I get:
    "LOVE ISNT A DECISION, IT'S A FEELING. IF WE COULD DECIDE WHO WE LOVED IT WOULD BE MUCH SIMPLER, BIT MUCH LESS MAGICAL. U KNOW THT."

DaveE

4. Jan 13, 2006 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Lbtibw qlbr ri fucw rgua ibw l ret? pyurw aunokw ewlkkt.

5. Jan 13, 2006 #4
    I got:

"Its all over for you now, buddy. Go take a long walk off a short pier."

I hope hes not a close friend.:uhh:

6. Jan 13, 2006 #5
    You can always do strange things with encoding. Between re-arranging characters, throwing in useless ones, doing standard replacement, or even inventing new rules for character definitions, like "when you see this character, the preceeding character should be shifted 3 characters to the right", or some such. This type of encoding gave me the idea of doing something like this:

Code (Text):

f or oa ak diuca hsaictfipinmsoyrd,wo hy,ywyhon pngaaiip oa(r,lWetan ed
    eoej nhsncueynl arctnntjnnas k ryufgotnino a th ieie  to bra rista rhst
    tmynds, ammifmsnv soeb,uvs A trtucag,rdronrwee)l. ce nrnesu aucyef toto
    tLee l!drg o  sle  cr useh nbmcpsoftwseli gaeuaie nealhtinrnlsospa afys
    ayoo ba   m uhwnnwnctgee bmdeo,t oi nrs uk tiehereitrii'nuht ieciear mr
    ozhuo f.o pr p  ng riobiskncno  !wnrf  rouo u t dp  es gcO

Rather difficult to *decode*, even knowing the algorithm, and far easier to encode.

DaveE

7. Jan 14, 2006 #6

YOU GOT IT WELL DONE !!

was the clue at the end a bit of a giveaway?!!

8. Jan 25, 2006 #7
    damn
    good job dave

9. Jan 26, 2006 #8

Mk

How did you it? Did you see it before, or figure out?

10. Jan 26, 2006 #9
    Oh, I hadn't seen it before, although the comment of "it is quite simple" was the only helpful hint. I started with the basic guess that it might be a standard cryptogram, but the letter frequency seemed pretty typical, so I gave up on that idea. Since he claimed it was "simple" I figured instead it might be some sort of logically jumbled letters. So I tried "every other letter", "every 3rd letter", etc, until the first bunch of letters spelled out "LOVEISNTA", which looked promising. And hey, the rest of the message worked.

On that note, my above cryptic message was built sort of similarly, by taking "every prime numbered letter" out of the original message, and building the cryptogram from it, repeating until all the letters had been used. Hence, with a message like:

"Cryptograms_are_great_fun"

First pass:

Letters taken: rytgsagef
    Letters remaining: Cporam_re_rat_un
    Current result: rytgsagef

2nd pass on the letters remaining:

Letters taken: poa_rt
    Letters remaining: Crmre_a_un
    Current result: rytgsagefpoa_rt

3rd pass:

Letters taken: rmea
    Letters remaining: Cr__un
    Current result: rytgsagefpoa_rtrmea

4th pass:

Letters taken: r_u
    Letters remaining: C_n
    Current result: rytgsagefpoa_rtrmear_u

5th pass:

Letters taken: _n
    Letters remaining: C
    Current result: rytgsagefpoa_rtrmear_u_n

Final jumbled message:

rytgsagefpoa_rtrmear_u_nC

Of course, you can add such a fantastic degree of complexity to these sorts of puzzles by doing something like that *in combination* with other confusing things, which would mean pretty much nobody could solve it, short of merely guessing your strategy.

For instance, I could ignore every Nth letter (or heck, every consecutive digit of pi'th letter), have it be a "standard" cryptogram, use the above algorithm on it, the add in silly rules to further transform it, like "t" => "m", but "s" is a modifier, which, if it preceeds a letter, changes its meaning, making "st" => "a". The end result could be a code so complex that it'd be pretty much useless to try and solve. I highly recommend that if you're posting a puzzle, try and only use one encoding algorithm.

DaveE

11. Jan 26, 2006 #10

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps siresam88 was referring to the book, Digital Fortress and the way Columnar transposition was called as Caesars square cipher in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?