Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you check my proof by induction?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    [tex]1 = 1[/tex]
    [tex]1 - 2^2 = -(1+2)[/tex]
    [tex]1 - 2^2 + 3^2 = (1+2+3)[/tex]
    [tex]1^2 - 2^2 + 3^2 - 4^2 = -(1+2+3+4)[/tex]

and so on.

I have to prove that this relationship is true for all natural numbers. This is what I did:

clearly it is true for 1, 2, 3 and 4.

assume true for n odd:

[tex]1^2 - 2^2 + 3^2 - 4^2 ... + n^2 = (1 + 2 + +3 + 4... + n)[/tex]

tidying things up a bit and inducting (n+1) and (n+2) we can obtain this pattern:

[tex](1^2 - 1) + (3^2 - 3)... + ((n-1)^2 - (n-1)) + ((n+1)^2 - (n+1)) = (2^2 + 2) + (4^2 + 4) +... + (n^2 + n) + ((n+2)^2 + (n+2))[/tex]

The [tex]((n+1)^2 - (n+1))[/tex] from the LHS cancels with the [tex](n^2 + n)[/tex] on the RHS if you play around with it, therefore the equality holds for every n+2 given any n >= 4. The same argument can be applied to the case in which n is even, QED.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you're going to assume true for n, then on the very next line you have +n2 as the last term on the LHS and a positive sum on the RHS, then you should specify "assume true for n odd" or something along those lines.

Also, it's unnecessary to take it in two cases, just set up your assumption as,

Assume true for n=k:

[tex]1^2 - 2^2 + 3^2 - ... + (-1)^{k-1}k^2=(-1)^{k-1}(1+2+3+...+k)[/tex]

Now prove it is true for n=k+1.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    @bold, how would you go about proving it then? rearranging the expression would be tedious with a multiplier (is there a better way?). I thought it would be easier to take the two cases since if you prove one case you imply the other.

EDIT: nvm, I found a more refined way of doing it using the (-1)^k-1, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you use the well known summation property [tex]1+2+3+...+n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex] it becomes very easy to solve.

6. Sep 7, 2012 #5
    thanks, I forgot about using known results :p Yes, it becomes very easy now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook