Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you check my proof?

1. Jun 25, 2005 #1

learningphysics

Homework Helper

An antisymmetric tensor of rank two [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] has [tex]E_{ij}=-E_{ji}[/tex] for all i and j right? Meaning for i=j, [tex]E_{ij}=0 [/tex]... Just wanted to make sure of this.

Here's what I'm trying to prove. Given [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is an antisymmetric tensor. Is [tex]E_{ij,k}[/tex] a tensor?

I get yes. Here's my proof:

[tex]E_{i'j',k'} =\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k (\frac{\partial}{x^k}(E_{ij}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}))\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

This reduces to:
    [tex]\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}} + \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij}(\frac{\partial}{x^k}(\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}))\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

Finally after rewriting the second part:
    [tex]\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}} + \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij}(\frac{{\partial}^2 x^i}{\partial x^k \partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}} + \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{{\partial}^2 x^j}{\partial x^k \partial x^{j'}})\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

The expression [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is multiplied by in the second triple summation is symmetric about i and j... so if I write one element of the second summation as:
    [tex]E_{ij}X_{ijk}[/tex]... so we add two elements of this sum [tex]i_1[/tex] and [tex]j_1[/tex] are not equal:

[tex]E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} + E_{j_1 i_1}X_{j_1 i_1 k_1} = E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} - E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} =0[/tex] since E is antisymmetric, and X is symmetric about i and j...

So in this manner each element with indices [tex]i_1,j_1,k_1[/tex] where the i and j elements are different, cancels with the element with indices [tex]j_1,i_1,k_1[/tex].

And when [tex]i_1 = j_1[/tex] we have [tex]E_{i_1,j_1} =0 [/tex] so that element in the summation is 0 anyway.

So the second summation goes to zero. And we have:

[tex]E_{i'j',k'} = \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex] so [tex]E_{ij,k}[/tex] is a tensor?

Does this look right? Thanks a bunch. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course it's incorrect.

This part

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}x^{i}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^{j}}{\partial x^{j'}}+\frac{\partial x^{i}}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial^{2}x^{j}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{j'}} [/tex]

is obviously nonsymmetric in "i" and "j" and nonantisymmetric in <<j'>> and <<k'>>.

Daniel.

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3
    what could you do to make it a tensor?

Hint:

[tex]A_{i,j}[/tex] is not a tensor but
    [tex]A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}[/tex] is a tensor

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Thanks dexter.

6. Jun 26, 2005 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I just proved that [tex]E_{ij,k} + E_{jk,i} + E_{ki,j}[/tex] is a tensor where [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is antisymmetric. Is that what you were referring to?

7. Jun 27, 2005 #6
    yes :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?