Proving E_{ij,k} as a Tensor: A Comprehensive Explanation

• Thread starter learningphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that E_{ij,k} is a tensor when E_{ij} is an antisymmetric tensor. The proof involves rewriting the expression and using the fact that E_{ij} is antisymmetric to show that the second summation goes to zero. The final conclusion is that E_{ij,k} + E_{jk,i} + E_{ki,j} is a tensor, where E_{ij} is antisymmetric.
learningphysics
Homework Helper
An antisymmetric tensor of rank two [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] has [tex]E_{ij}=-E_{ji}[/tex] for all i and j right? Meaning for i=j, [tex]E_{ij}=0 [/tex]... Just wanted to make sure of this.

Here's what I'm trying to prove. Given [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is an antisymmetric tensor. Is [tex]E_{ij,k}[/tex] a tensor?

I get yes. Here's my proof:

[tex]E_{i'j',k'} =\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k (\frac{\partial}{x^k}(E_{ij}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}))\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

This reduces to:
[tex]\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}} + \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij}(\frac{\partial}{x^k}(\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}))\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

Finally after rewriting the second part:
[tex]\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}} + \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij}(\frac{{\partial}^2 x^i}{\partial x^k \partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}} + \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{{\partial}^2 x^j}{\partial x^k \partial x^{j'}})\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

The expression [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is multiplied by in the second triple summation is symmetric about i and j... so if I write one element of the second summation as:
[tex]E_{ij}X_{ijk}[/tex]... so we add two elements of this sum [tex]i_1[/tex] and [tex]j_1[/tex] are not equal:

[tex]E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} + E_{j_1 i_1}X_{j_1 i_1 k_1} = E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} - E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} =0[/tex] since E is antisymmetric, and X is symmetric about i and j...

So in this manner each element with indices [tex]i_1,j_1,k_1[/tex] where the i and j elements are different, cancels with the element with indices [tex]j_1,i_1,k_1[/tex].

And when [tex]i_1 = j_1[/tex] we have [tex]E_{i_1,j_1} =0 [/tex] so that element in the summation is 0 anyway.

So the second summation goes to zero. And we have:

[tex]E_{i'j',k'} = \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex] so [tex]E_{ij,k}[/tex] is a tensor?

Does this look right? Thanks a bunch. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it's incorrect.

This part

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}x^{i}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^{j}}{\partial x^{j'}}+\frac{\partial x^{i}}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial^{2}x^{j}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{j'}} [/tex]

is obviously nonsymmetric in "i" and "j" and nonantisymmetric in <<j'>> and <<k'>>.

Daniel.

what could you do to make it a tensor?

Hint:

[tex]A_{i,j}[/tex] is not a tensor but
[tex]A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}[/tex] is a tensor

dextercioby said:
Of course it's incorrect.

This part

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}x^{i}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^{j}}{\partial x^{j'}}+\frac{\partial x^{i}}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial^{2}x^{j}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{j'}} [/tex]

is obviously nonsymmetric in "i" and "j" and nonantisymmetric in <<j'>> and <<k'>>.

Daniel.

Thanks dexter.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
what could you do to make it a tensor?

Hint:

[tex]A_{i,j}[/tex] is not a tensor but
[tex]A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}[/tex] is a tensor

I just proved that [tex]E_{ij,k} + E_{jk,i} + E_{ki,j}[/tex] is a tensor where [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is antisymmetric. Is that what you were referring to?

learningphysics said:
I just proved that [tex]E_{ij,k} + E_{jk,i} + E_{ki,j}[/tex] is a tensor where [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is antisymmetric. Is that what you were referring to?

yes :smile:

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to check my proof?

The purpose of having someone check your proof is to ensure that your reasoning and calculations are accurate and to catch any errors or mistakes that you may have overlooked.

2. Who should I ask to check my proof?

You should ask someone who is knowledgeable in the subject area and has experience with proofs. This could be a colleague, a professor, or a mentor.

3. How do I properly ask someone to check my proof?

You should provide the person with a clear and concise explanation of your proof and the specific areas that you would like them to review. It is also helpful to provide any relevant background information or assumptions.

4. What should I do if the person finds an error in my proof?

If an error is found, carefully review the feedback and make necessary revisions to your proof. It is important to remain open to constructive criticism and learn from any mistakes.

5. Is it necessary to have someone check my proof?

While it is not always necessary, having someone check your proof can greatly improve its accuracy and credibility. It is always beneficial to have a second set of eyes review your work.